Need a Hotel In Fresno

Search

Need a Hotel In Fresno

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a Hotel In Fresno

My 95 year old granmother and her 90 year old brother from out of state are coming for Thanksgiving! Rave!

Since my parents have downsized there isn't enought room for six overnight guests (those two plus my four!) so I need to find a hotel for a few nights. Rant!

Anyone know of a hotel in Fresno or Clovis that is nice with an indoor pool? (My boys would flip!)

I lived there for 20 years... but now that's been 15 years ago and usually stay with my parents... so I have no real hotel knowledge of the area these days.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 09:11 AM

The Residence Inn is as good as it gets in Fresno.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear moneygirl:

When my neice graduated from Fresno STate, we all stayed at Picadilly Inn University. It is located at Shaw & Cedar. It was very nice. I don't think you will have much luck with indoor pools in Fresno.

MY
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM

FRESNO?????????? My sympathy. What an awful pit stop. The last time I had to stay there I stayed at the (I think) Hilton on Blackstone.

Forget the indoor pool.

Curious
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

I looked at the Picadilly by FSU and it looks decent and it's about $100.00 for the night of Thanksgiving... sounds reasonable.

Thanks!
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Hello there!

The Holiday Inn airport is an atrium built hotel with an indoor pool - right across the street from the airport, and I believe they have a shuttle as well.

Pretty reasonable and not a bad place to stay considering.

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Conky!! Sounds perfect!
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Curious, maybe you should change your name from curious to nasty. Maybe you missed the idea that there is a good reason for this family gathering including a couple 90 year olds in Fresno. It's not like they chose the location for a once in a lifetime vacation -- it's where some of them LIVE.

And why should they forget the indoor pool? Because you don't like to swim, maybe?
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Neo: Curious always has nasty comments about Fresno... and never any helpful comments... and I don't recall posts on any other topic.

Strange.

I am truly thrilled that I have the wonderful opportunity of having my small boys play dominoes and checkers with their great grandma and her "baby brother" and I know these are memories they will always have in the years to come! We need to treasure our loved ones... no matter where we have to go to see them! LOL!! (The uncle is traveling from Kansas.)
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:05 AM

I grew up near Fresno and have had to "visit" there many, many times. It is one of the worst places in California to visit or live. It has air quality almost as bad as LA. The population is becoming more and more ------shall I say non-USA.

Just an awful place in my opinion and I actually have relatives that live there.

Curious

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 01:43 PM

So it was very polite of you to rub that in to someone who may not have a choice but to live there. Do you take it upon yourself to also comment to people that they are wearing the ugliest clothes you ever saw or have the worst hairdo ever?

What possible benefit was your post to anyone?

I take it by your comment about the indoor pool, that you clearly thought there would be no such thing, so it does show us how little you know about the place you wanted to trash.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM

NeoPatrick,

Look at the bright side.
At least moneygirl won't have unrealistically high expectations.

Based on my one-night experience in Fresno, I can understand where Curious is coming from.

Perhaps you can counter what Curious said by letting us know why Fresno is a great place to vacation.

HTTY

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:15 PM

What are you talking about, happytrails? I didn't say anything about it being a great place to vacation. I just don't see any point is someone posting that they need to visit family somewhere and somebody else trashing the place as if anyone who went there would be crazy!

I may dislike Olive Garden as a restaurant, but if someone posts that they must attend a gathering there and asks what the best thing to order is, what is the point of ranting on and on about it being the worst food in the world?

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Awww, Bless them! 95 and 90 and still playing checkers! I can only hope I have that much of my wits about me when I am that age

Neo, I know what you meant. My only reference to Fresno is that someone posts all the time on another forum pretending they live in Oregon when they actually live in Clovis..It has become a big joke on that forum.
Perhaps what Curious said is why- no one wants to admit that they are from there ? lol...

moneygirl..have a lovely Thanksgiving..I have memories of my grandparents from waaay back..your post about your parents downsizing is what interests me lol
My husband and I have always made sure there were plenty of bedrooms/beds for my children and their friends and someday wives /husbands/children..since we got tired of waiting, we moved to a 2 bedroom apt in another country- and now my son is engaged LOL....
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Point taken. Touche.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Doesn't kimamom live in Clovis? Maybe she will see this and have an answer for you, moneygirl
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM

What happened to ***kim***? Haven't heard from her lately.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM

>>Perhaps what Curious said is why- no one wants to admit that they are from there ? lol... <<

OK, I confess - I was born in Fresno. But I left as soon as they discharged my mom from the hospital...

We usually just drive through there now on the way to see my dad, but I wouldn't mind spending a day in Fresno sometime.

Lee Ann
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett: A wedding! Congratulations!

My parents lived in a four bedroom ranch style house
with a large den that could also serve as a bedroom for guests when necessary. ( I am an only child so our family gatherings are never large.) They moved to a much smaller three bedroom and while there is room for my parents and for my family, there isn't room for all of us PLUS my grandma and her brother to have separate rooms. I offered to get a hotel so they can be most comfortable.

I lived in Fresno for over 20 years and I certainly know it's problems... the worst of which (IMHO) is the awful tule fog that starts just about this time of year and goes into January.

It also has it's good points. A diverse population, warm summer nights perfect for a motorcycle ride, many activities for kids, lakes close by like Shaver and Huntington... close to China Peak for skiing... close enough to Yosemite for a day trip, couple hours from LA, couple hours from the central coast, couple hours from the City, it's a wonderful place to live and be able to do a lot of weekend trips. The people are friendly, housing costs are very inexpensive and lastly ( and VERY important to me!) is that the shopping is MUCH better than where I live! Coach, White House/BLack Market, a great MAcy's, Ann Taylor, CHico's, etc...I love Fig Garden Village and I love the fresh fruit and produce stands on the corners! I also think the people are friendly.

So sorry Curious has so much hate.

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear moneygirl:

You forgot that Fresno shopping institution: Gottschalk's!!!

I grew up in a small town on the Westside of the Valley, so Fresno was our big shopping "mecca" about 30-40 years ago.

I also think they renamed China Peak. Sorry this thread got a little wild. Have fun at Thanksgiving.

MY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -