Search

Pls. help with Brazil itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2004, 09:29 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pls. help with Brazil itinerary

Hi. My husband and I are planning a trip to Brazil in September and I would appreciate any comments that you might have on our tentative itinerary.

5 nights in Rio
1 night in Manaus
2 nights in the Amazon
1 night in Manaus
5 nights in Salvador

As you can see, we generally don't like to be constantly picking up and moving to the next town. However, the one thing I feel like we're missing from this itinerary is a visit to a small colonial town or a fishing village. We could presumably give up the last night in Manaus and another day from either Salvador or Rio. I just don't want to add too many travel days. We would be willing to rent and drive a car.

Does anybody have suggestions for day trips from either Salvador or Rio?

Is anybody familiar with either the Pestana Bahia or Hotel Catharina Paraguacu in Salvador?

Thanks is advance.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:34 AM

small colonial town, go to PARATY, look at www.paraty.com.br. you will love it...2 hours drive by bus from RIO.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:40 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Thanks Miguelgcuadra. I remember looking in the guidebooks and liking Paraty. However, I thought that the books said that it took 4 hours to get there by bus (I don't have the books with me now). Have you taken the bus before? What are the buses like? Could we do a day trip? Or would we need to do at least one or two nights? (Beach activities aren't terribly important for us.)

We are also looking at a small town called Cachoeira near Salvador. Have you ever been there?

Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Although it's much better to stay 1 night, it's posible to do a day trip. But u'll have to wake up earlie and get back to rio at night.
I'm from rio, any info just ask ([email protected])
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:33 PM

I don't know if you can fit this into your schedule, but if you're looking for a colonial town, consider going to Ouro Preto in Minas Gerais. It is beautiful and charming. When we visited several years ago, we flew into Belo Horizonte, where we had arranged for a driver to meet us and take us to Ouro Preto. I think it's a drive of an hour or so -- but I don't remember exactly. It's built on beautiful hills and has amazing old churches that were built with goldmine money. It's hard to describe just how picture-perfect this town is.
We've also been to Rio, Salvador, and Manaus on our trips to Brazil. (The only other place you MUST see in Brazil is Iguacu Falls, but you can save that for another trip.) You will have a wonderful time.
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Hello wj1, I was wondering why are you not visiting Sao Paulo as well? Concerning your itinerary I think it is ok, but I suggest less days spent in Salvador, maybe 3 at most. Most travel agencies abroad are not really aware of what Sao Paulo can offer to their customers. I can proudly say that we have a plenny of fantastic restaurants, delicious pizza (must try once), good shopping malls (if you are interested), outdoors activities (my travel agency provides), beautiful beaches, excellent services, safe places (despite the news), great night life and cultural tours.

By the way, the Pestana Bahia Hotel are a Portuguese Group Hotel and top product. They have 433 apts. with a ocean view, air condicionair, nice pool with ocen view as well, pool bar, sauna, golf course, restaurant and spa. For dinner they serve a portuguese and bahia typical food and the are close to the Amaralina Beach. Located 20 minutes from the airport of Salvador and 15 from the city center.

Unfortunatelly, I am not aware of the other hotel.

I hope I could be helpfull for you guys. Don't forget about Sao Paulo pls!

Regards,

Diogo
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Cachoeira is a sleepy little town that has one attraction -- Irmandade de Nossa Senhora da Boa Morte (Sisterhood of Our Lady of the Good Death.) This is a church/museum created by women who are all descendants of slaves.
It is more intereseting to visit during one of their festivals -- there is a big one in August.
I also suggest spending a few nights in Ouro Preto. Stay at the most charming pousada - SOLAR NOSSA SENHORA DO ROSÁRIO. You will love Ouro Preto.
Please feel free to email me if you need any other info - I was a tour director in Brazil for 6 years.
[email protected]
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:52 PM
wj1
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The problem we're having is that there are not enough days in a two week vacation to do the things we want to do.

I have a call into our travel agent to see what the routing would be like if we added Ouro Prieto. I just don't want to spend too much time in the air flying to each destination.

Diogo, please don't take offense that we're not planning to visit Sao Paulo on this trip to Brazil. We've already got two big cities on the itinerary and I was just looking to add something different. I promise--next trip Sao Paulo!
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Ouro Preto is a great choice, as Paraty. São Paulo is a great city, but not exactly what i think u r looking for this moment.
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:52 AM

My wife and I went to Buzios last September. We stayed at a wonderful Pousada called Casas Brancas. The URL is http://www.casasbrancas.com.br/eng/index2.htm
It is within 5 minutes walk of the city center. It is very romantic and highly recommended. Last August the NY Times even wrote a very favorable article about this place. Buzios is about 4 hours drive from Rio however you can take a bus from the central bus station in Rio. The weather was warm and the Pousada had great views. I would cut some days from Salvador and stay in Buzios
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:36 AM

Casas Brancas is a nice hotel, I have stayed there but it is not on a beach. Collana Park is on Sao Fernandez beach and I have stayed there also similar price both nice. The shortest time I have made it to Buzios from Copacabana beach in Rio is just a little over 2 hours by a Brazilian taxi driver, they are very aggressive drivers.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:20 PM

I'm from Sao Paulo and had already been to Catarina Paraguaçu.It's an old restaured house,very tipical and charming,but in a little noisy area.I think for you Pestana will be better.By the way in which hotel you're staying in Rio and Amazon?I'd suggest Caesar Park Rio Ipanema and Ariau Jungle Towers in Amazon.I've stayed in both of them.I suggest you not to rent a car if you're staying only in Rio,Amazon and Salvador.Parati and Ouro Preto are good suggestions but try to stay overnight in Buzios.It's very charming after the one day tour people had gone.Feel free to email me with other specific questions
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:53 AM

I use to stay at the Pestana in Salvador at least 6 times a year. The hotel is nice with great ocean views from all the rooms and good service. 2 nights in Manaus is too much so I'd spend an extra night in Bahia or Rio. Side trips from Rio could be Buzios or Paraty (my vote goes to Paraty).
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 04:11 PM

I have just returned from Brazil and had read your questions prior to leaving. A must for me is Iguassu. I would highly recommend that to anyone. I cannot believe anyone would travel to Brazil or Argentina and not visit them.