Search

Memorial Day weekend

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2024, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memorial Day weekend

Hi,
We are planning a first trip to Maine. Flying in and out of Boston , Thursday thru Monday . Staying in Kennebunkport. Love a coastal scene and want to eat where the locals eat! Any suggestions would be helpful driving from Boston to kennebunkport..how should we drive up and what should we see? Would like to hit Portsmouth, Portland, Ogunquit,, Bar Harbor(?)over the 3 days . Traveling with 2 young adults and one of them likes to fish. Thank you in advance for your ideas!
Old May 8th, 2024, 08:44 PM

On the way up from the Boston airport we always stop at Petey’s Summertime Seafood in Rye, NH for lobster. It’s a little over an hour from the airport, but could take longer if there is holiday traffic. Depending on what time your flight gets in, you can have either lunch or dinner there and continue to Kennebunkport or stay in Portsmouth if it’s late.

We really like Kennebunkport, it’s a cute little town with lots of shops and restaurants. You are close enough to take a day trip to Portland and Freeport but Bar Harbor is too far. Depending on your flight home, stop in Ogunquit on the way back to Boston and walk the beautiful coastal Marginal Way.

Just outside of Kennebunkport is Boulangerie - A Proper Bakery in Kennebunk. Excellent croissants and baguettes; they sell out so either order ahead or get there early. This is NOT the bakery right in Kennebunkport called Mornings in Paris; no comparison and well worth the 10 minute drive to Kennebunk.

You will love Maine, it’s just beautiful!
Old May 9th, 2024, 12:56 AM

My smarky comment would be I don't think there are any locals in Kport. (Sorry tracilee). But I do second the suggestion to eat at Petey's. My visits to southern Maine are usually a long weekend with girlfriends so we visit Ogunquit theater and have one dinner at Stonewall Kitchen cooking school. Local Maine friend recommends Fishermen's Catch in Wells. Very casual and expect it to be crowded.
With husband we usually visit midcoast area hunting the best lobster rolls. It is less crowded firther north except for Bar Harbor.
Portland's Mailboat ride is nice but I like better narration on boat rides out of Portsmouth. Once did a sailboat ride out of maybe Wells which was scenic.
we are spending our last week of May in Bar Harvor area. Our son and 12 yo grandson will spend weekend with us. I accidentally discovered we could charter a lobster boat for some fishing and narration. A splurge for us but not too pricey considering cost for four tickets on a regular scenic cruise without fishing. If your on a charter boat you don't need Maine fishing license. While I agree Bar Harbor is too far for long weekend, I suggest looking for a similar private charter in the area you want to stay. Our charter takes six people max and goes where we want. Will not be deep sea. Of course, you can send fisherman off on a regular deep sea boat while rest of you do something else.
keep in mind I95 north to Maine is a very boring ride.
Old May 9th, 2024, 08:39 AM

Agree with other posters that Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park too far for this trip and there is so much to see and do in the Kennebunkport area in itself. You won't be bored. You can easily take a harbor cruise from Portland, there are several to choose from as well as visit the Portland Head Light, just south of the city. Portland is a foodie destination with many fine dining spots. You can check the schedule for Ogunquit Playhouse. I believe that a production of Waitress will still be running. You do want to stop in Ogunquit and walk on the Marginal Way, it is pretty spectacular and stroll around Perkins Cove. There are many places to dine in Ogunquit as well as in Kennebunkport, both casual and more upscale.
Old May 12th, 2024, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you !!