Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Week in the Alps - Kandersteg and Chamonix?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2024, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a week to spend in the Alps at the end of June before a meeting. I'm a 65-yr-old female traveling solo, flying into ZRH and out of GVA.
I'm looking for the experience I've had based in Murren, Wengen, Zermatt, and Garmisch--multiple lifts/trains in/near the town to gain elevation, mountain views, and easy to moderate walks.

I've picked Mont Blanc/Les Plaz as my new base that I think fits this profile. It will be easy to get from there to GVA for my onward flight.
There I am looking at: Aiguille du Midi to Helbronner if weather makes worthwhile; Brevant; La Flegere/L'Index to Lac Blanc; perhaps Grand Montets (need to look at it); walk between Les Praz and Chamonix and a walk above Les Praz. Sound good?

I don't think I want to travel all the way from ZRH to Chamonix with multiple train changes on arrival day, so I was looking for a good 1 or 2-night stop. I've been reading the posts about Kandersteg--it would be a one change in Bern. In Kandersteg, I could take the Oeschinen up for the easy walk to/from the lake and walk along the river on arrival day, then take the Luftseilbahn Allmenalp cable car and walk down to Kandersteg next morning--seem to be two options of 3 or 5 mile routes. Would you recommend somewhere else? The towns/cities from Visp to Martigny do not look as scenic and I don't want to go to Laussane.

While I would like to stay 2 nights at my first destination, I also know the need to have several days in Chamonix to increase changes of a clear day for Mont Blanc, so may train on in the afternoon/evening after 1 night in Kandersteg or alternative.. I have been lucky on previous trips. The first day at Wengen we walked trails in the snow and wondered about the placement of benches. The next day it cleared and we saw we had walked right in front of the mountains and glaciers. Similarly, I took a rainy day trip to Brienz or Thun and woke up the next morning in Murren to a perfect view of the Jungfrau from my window. I don't think we saw a cloud in Zermatt. But I know better to count on clear days.

Thanks for any thoughts, tips, or opinions. No, I don't have more than one week. Yes, I need to arrive in ZRH and depart from GVA. Once I have this pinned down, I can look at passes/ticket prices, etc. I've found some acceptable hotels in both locations. I would normally consider apartment rental for this many nights at Mont Blanc, but mostly I'm finding studios with a sofabed available so I'm choosing hotel.

Looking forward to those snowcapped mountains!
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 02:27 PM

This is the view from the cable car at les Montets:

Old Apr 26th, 2024, 06:29 AM

"The towns/cities from Visp to Martigny do not look as scenic".
Don't underestimate these places.
Sierre/Sideers is ölinked by rop railway to Crans-Montana (every 20 min, 10 min ride) from where you can go by gondola to viewpoint Cry d'Er or by bus to Colombire (with stunning views to the Alps from Monte Leone via Matterhorn upp to Mont Blanc) or hike aloong on of the signpostet trails between these places.
Webcam: https://lhm.roundshot.com/#/
A night in one od the 5 accomodations within the tiny medieval (pedestrian) city center of Sion (along Rue du Rhone, Rue de la Lombardie, Rue de l?eglise, Rue de Contghey) might be a goo idea too.
All mountain villages aaround Sion can be reached from Sion in a short bus ride. Most buses run every 1-2 hrs.
https://www.valdherens.ch/de/index

Last edited by neckervd; Apr 26th, 2024 at 06:43 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 11:37 AM

I stayed for 2 weeks in Kandersteg, back when an open Chairlift went up to Oeschinensee!
I very much enjoyed this scenic trip, and we hiked back DOWN to town (mistake...toe jams!)
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 11:40 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
neckervd - you might have finally convinced us to visit Crans-Montana this year (December).

And mokka - we hiked up, and then back down one year as the lift was closed. Once of that was enough.

Last edited by Melnq8; Apr 26th, 2024 at 11:43 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Gorgeous view, Michael. I will definitely look at going up.

I will look again at the Sierre base as an alternative.
My problem is I want to go everywhere and stay longer.....

Last edited by Kay2; Apr 26th, 2024 at 12:54 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Update

Just to update you kind folks who responded.

I have decided on just one night stay enroute to Chamonix.
Kandersteg still looks easiest. Considering changing course and stopping in Bern overnight to walk in the old town. I haven't been there in 40 years. Weeknight in city few hotels available so would be busy, but contrast to outdoors at Mont Blanc for rest of week.

Doing the additional research suggested has introduced me to another place I want to visit next trip--Bettmeralp. Looks like a fun trip for day or two.

Added Les Montets to my Chamonix list.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 10:44 PM

Good choice, although the historic center of Berne didn't change during the last 40 years, except the colour of the trams (it changed from green to red).
IMO Bettmeralp (or nearby Riederalp and Fiescheralp) are nicer places than Kandersteg.