Search

2025 Safari Trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2024, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2025 Safari Trip

We are working with a travel group to plan a first time safari in South Africa--we have most plans in place but need a couple of tweaks--looking for help. We are a couple in our mid 60's. Moderate hiking /walking etc.
  • We will be spending 4 nights at Sabi Sands/Kruger area. There is an option to add a 3-4 day trip to Botswana but it is very costly. Does anyone have details or experiences of what we would see or do differently from first safari? Agency called it "Africa's Eden" but not a lot of details besides adding adjectives like amazing and unique.
  • I know this will be all over the board but best time to go? We are gravitating to their winter as the foliage will be minimal for best animal viewing. But May kept coming up in their recommendations. Any thoughts?
  • We toyed with Johannesburg but I know they have had some infrastructure issues and some safety issues. We aren't terrified of cities like some people but would be interested in thoughts on adding that trip. We will be going to Robbin Island in Cape Town so will get some apartheid history there.
  • Favorite things to do in Victoria Falls? One of us gets motion sickness very easily so no helicopter rides etc.
Thanks as always for your help.

Old Apr 28th, 2024, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to give a lot more info to get good responses here.

Where is the option in Botswana? Yes, most of Botswana is very different than the Sabi Sands. It is also very pricey, as will be your flights to get there and back.

Perhaps you could post the entire itinerary here including the names of the accommodations (hotels, camps, etc)
What kind of budget do you have?
Who is the person who has planned this for you--?
Are you joining a tour?

Bush is drier in winter so visibility is easier, in general. It is also the most expensive time to travel there. We've been in May, I think twice, and it's great. Much better prices than July August, and we had superb game viewing at each camp....on each of our trips to Southern Africa we've visited about 3-4 camps, plus time in CapeTown and in J'Burg, and of course, the Falls. For V Falls, the viewing is different on each side during different seasons. Are you absolutely set on going there? Having been to VF twice, once staying upriver in Zambia and once in Zimbabwe, I would much rather devote the time to being in the bush, or even in CapeTown. But you can have a game viewing experience if you stay near the Falls but not IN Victoria Falls or near Livingstone. If you re an adventurous traveler you might like visiting Livingstone but on a first trip you might want to maximize bush experiences.

We really would need much more info..I would be happy to offer some opinions but I know almost nothing so far. (I am not an agent and do not presume to have that kind of knowledge.
I am just a regular lay traveler but I have made about five safari trips to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana, and to the Falls.

Last question: Are you plans with this person/agency/tour fixed or can you plan your own trip, which would be a cinch with a local planner such as the one I use, or one recommended by others here.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 28th, 2024 at 08:11 AM.