Search

Spain

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2024, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain

Hello, planning trip with my 20-year-old , we are flying into Barcelona spending three nights there then want to go down the coast to Malaga. Considering a couple of different options, 1)renting a car in Barcelona and driving down the coast and spending the night somewhere along the way or 2)taking the train from Barcelona to Valencia, spend one night, and then Valencia to Malaga. Or 3) taking a direct train from Barcelona to Malaga, but it seems this does not go down the coast, You have to change trains in Madrid.
I have not driven in Europe before, not sure about the traffic?? Any advice very much appreciated. I was looking forward to the trip down the coast, but like the idea of taking the train in one day so to get more time in Malaga, as only have a couple of days, then going to Sevilla.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 06:42 PM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to he Fodors forums. We tagged your thread for Spain and removed the Trip Report flag.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by ChristinaArias
Hello, planning trip with my 20-year-old , we are flying into Barcelona spending three nights there then want to go down the coast to Malaga. Considering a couple of different options, 1)renting a car in Barcelona and driving down the coast and spending the night somewhere along the way or 2)taking the train from Barcelona to Valencia, spend one night, and then Valencia to Malaga. Or 3) taking a direct train from Barcelona to Malaga, but it seems this does not go down the coast, You have to change trains in Madrid.
I have not driven in Europe before, not sure about the traffic?? Any advice very much appreciated. I was looking forward to the trip down the coast, but like the idea of taking the train in one day so to get more time in Malaga, as only have a couple of days, then going to Sevilla.
Hi Christina, if flying is not an option my preferred option would be renting a car. Roads are pretty decent in Spain with good highways, nothing to be afraid of.
You have another option which is taking a bus (ALSA) from Barcelona to Malaga stopping in Tarragona, Valencia, Alicante, Murcia, Granada and then Malaga but it takes 15 hours ... from 7am to 10pm.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 02:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Barcelona to Malaga is around 12 hours by road and around 1000kms. I wouldn't recommend such a long drive in such a short time. Fly down, it makes much more sense and takes only 90 minutes at most.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 02:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd take the train, just because it is comfortable, you can walk around, go to the loo and watch the fantastic scenery, even chat to other people and take a picnic.

Flying and cars are so last centuary.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Flying?

I see the only flights are with Vueling?? Any experience with this airline? Also I think expensive because you have to pay for carry on bag and checked bag.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 08:35 AM

Can't say for the train...but I live in the region near Valencia and use the motorway all the time. I've driven to Barcelona and back too.

From about Castellón to Alicante the scenery is just incredible. You see the sea a lot. And you drive past more castles than you can count. It really is a beautiful road. The tunnels between Calpe and Altea are jaw-dropping.

But...the motorway is a motorway. It's not conducive to stopping off.

If you only have 1 day I doubt you can really do it justice. I would say go by train so you don't get any FOMO and want to stop at every place you pass by!
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 08:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have flown Vueling several times. It is fine, like Southwest in the U.S. No problems and would fly them again.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for all the great advice

How is the driving out of central Barcelona and thru the other cities and into Malaga?