Reload this Page >

Southern Italy-tours and classes ideas

Search

Southern Italy-tours and classes ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2024, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SusanP
Good info about WhatsApp, but one question, maybe a dumb one, do you just have to have your regular SIM from the US to use it in Europe? I think that at least for now, that's where I would use it. OK, maybe two questions, can I use WhatsApp from the US to Europe or vice versa?
You can use WhatsApp between continents, in both directions.

To use WhatsApp, you do need to have a cell phone number with a SIM card associated with the WhatsApp account. You can set up the account before you leave home, and then you don't need to use that phone number or SIM card at all while you're in Europe. You do need some sort of internet connection, which could be WiFi. If you want to avoid data charges on your phone, keep it in flight mode. That will prevent from making phone calls or using your cell phone data, but allow you to use WiFi.

In Italy almost everyone uses WhatsApp for calls and text messages. It's pretty much replacing the use of a phone, except that it's an app that's installed on your phone. It's possible to install WhatsApp on a laptop, tablet, or a phone that doesn't have a SIM card. I've never done so, but I've seen the instructions. It still has to be also installed on the principal phone with the SIM card associated with the account.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by bvlenci; Apr 20th, 2024 at 03:11 AM.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Quick update - we booked a tour with Sara privately; connected with her on Instagram @ sb_sarabianchi. Thank you!
Vetting cooking classes currently. Booked another tour with the Jewish Museum Lecce. Considering an eBike tour, but a little hesitant. We bike here on Cruisers and have never used an eBike.
ALL the above information is so valuable and SO appreciated from you all. We are going to utilize eSim and have used What'sApp very successfully for years in the US and abroad, to keep connected with family and friends living abroad, hotels, guides, etc. It is wonderful and yes, the most used platform by foreigners. We have enjoyed cooking classes, especially in Thailand, and have incorporated techniques into our daily menus.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by SusanP
Good info about WhatsApp, but one question, maybe a dumb one, do you just have to have your regular SIM from the US to use it in Europe? I think that at least for now, that's where I would use it. OK, maybe two questions, can I use WhatsApp from the US to Europe or vice versa?

ekscrunchy, I've taken many cooking classes on my trips. I was just thinking about how many. In Italy, 7 (5 in Rome, plus Bologna & Naples), Paris, Spain (Madrid), South Africa, Vietnam. I haven't taken them to become a great chef but because they are always a lot of fun. I do like to take them with other people rather than by myself, because if people are willing to take time out of a European trip to take a cooking class, you can be sure they are enthusiastic about it. You do learn not only some tips and techniques, but recipes from that country. I have never had one where we were only watching the instructor do the cooking, they have all been hands-on. Plus, you get to eat the results! 😋

We'll you guys have convinced me about the cooking classes..maybe I will take one someday soon!

Just a note: I pay Verizon $100 for one month of unlimited data and phone calls..... For me its works out better than paying the $10 per day that they charge if you decide not to take the monthly plan..depends on how long your trip will be but if its more than 10 days, for me the monthly plan is great. BUT you have to remember to cancel it when you get home. I forgot to do that last year and ended up having to pay over $300 cause it was still in place long after I came home.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 06:49 AM

Oh good, I hope you enjoy Sara's tour! Please say hello to her from 'paulalovestotravel', we follow each other on Insta.
An Ebike tour would be fun, they aren't hard to use -believe me, if I can use one anyone can. My husband the bike mechanic says "if you can ride a bike, you can ride an e-bike".

Last edited by raincitygirl; Apr 20th, 2024 at 07:07 AM.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by bvlenci
You can use WhatsApp between continents, in both directions.

To use WhatsApp, you do need to have a cell phone number with a SIM card associated with the WhatsApp account. You can set up the account before you leave home, and then you don't need to use that phone number or SIM card at all while you're in Europe. You do need some sort of internet connection, which could be WiFi. If you want to avoid data charges on your phone, keep it in flight mode. That will prevent from making phone calls or using your cell phone data, but allow you to use WiFi.

In Italy almost everyone uses WhatsApp for calls and text messages. It's pretty much replacing the use of a phone, except that it's an app that's installed on your phone. It's possible to install WhatsApp on a laptop, tablet, or a phone that doesn't have a SIM card. I've never done so, but I've seen the instructions. It still has to be also installed on the principal phone with the SIM card associated with the account.
​​​​​​​OK, I'm really not a total nitwit for tech stuff, but it's a matter of not knowing the procedure if you've never done it! 😁 Are you saying that I need a separate cell phone number and SIM aside from my regular number? Or do I just set up the WhatsApp account with my regular cell number, or is there a reason not to do that? Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 09:41 AM

No you don't need a separate phone number and SIM, you just add the app to your phone and import your contacts to it. If you did happen to change SIMs you can still use WhatsApp with your home number. When you put a new SIM in WhatsApp will detect a new phone number and prompt you if you wish to change your number to that one so you can say no to that if you want to use your regular number. If you aren't changing SIMs, just download the App and import your contacts to it.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 12:42 PM

Raincitygirl, thank you!
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 05:29 AM

But let's say I have the Verizon Global app, so I do not pay for phone calls.

What would be the reason to use What's App In Italy in my case?

(Rather than just phoning someone)??
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Phoning someone using eSim and What'sApp is much less expensive that the Verizon Global App. This is a good video: