need itinerary ideas - 2 weeks northern Spain with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 2 weeks in Spain in September, I'm focusing on the north, but having a really hard time narrowing down my search. So lots of ideas, please bear with me

Hoping to have 2 main home bases and do day drips so as to not overdo the travel time in the car (or train). Very drawn to Asturias and Cantabria, but also Catalonia. We have 2 young kids (4 & 8), and hope to see lots of nature, do day hikes, see gorgeous mountains, eat great food, and experience some culture in a kid-friendly way (no museums, but maybe castles). We don't love big cities. We'd love to be off the beaten path a little whenever possible. Also want to see the sun! and am wondering if one mountain region is more sunny that time of year than another.

Would love some guidance to help narrow my search to the main areas to focus on, and how to cut down traveling! I think the big question is which area is more suited for day hikes with kids who can do probably 3-5 miles at the most --> Asturias - Picos de Europa National Park or Somiedo? OR Catalonia --> Spanish Pyrenees (yes I know its a huge region so am happy to take suggestions)

We will be flying in from the UK - here are my ideas so far:
1- Fly to Barcelona - then go up to the Pyrenees, maybe stop at Montserrat on the way. Spend most of the time in the Pyrenees exploring one or 2 of these - Cadi Moixero, Alt Pirineu Natural Park or Aiguestortes? not sure if we want to do 2 weeks there?? Do they have cable cars where we can get up the mountain with the kids for great views? And then would need to get back to Barcelona to fly back to USA.
2- Same as above but add in Carcassonne for a couple nights because I think we'd all love the history and activities there, but especially my 8 year old (maybe there are other fortified cities closer that would be interesting?)
3 - Fly into Valencia to see another distinct region and different culture, stay outside the city for a few days, see some of the attractions around there (such as Coves de Sant Josep), do a food tour, (love Paella), then go up to the Pyrenees for the second half, then back to Barcelona.
4 - Fly from the UK to Asturias, stay in a village to explore Picos de Europa for a week, see Oviedo, do a food tour, explore the beach towns. Second week - not sure where to go?? Spend the whole 2 weeks there?
5- Fly into Bilbao, see the Basque region a couple days, drive to an Agroturismo farm stay in Navarre region that looked lovely, hike/explore around there?? Maybe day trip to Pamplona. Drive to Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park area for the second week. Then fly out of Barcelona.
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding that I've hiked in the Dolomites and Tyrolean Alps, and they were stunning. Any scenery that comes close to that, but accessible with kids, would be amazing!! And recommendations of what towns to stay in to get to those places.