Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

East African Safari: How many nights per camp?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2024, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple question: My wife and I are starting to work on African Safari tour planning and we have been doing some research: A lot of the tours tend to stay in one camp only 2 or at most 3 nights - is that because after going on a handful of morning / evening game drives you've pretty much exhausted the unique animals at that site?

The reason we ask is that we're thinking something like 8-10 days for game drives and wondering how many individual sites we should plan.

Thanks!
Alan
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 09:12 PM

Good question. I’m guessing that it’s what you said, that more stops will give more exposure to different animals.

We just booked a tour with Spirit of Kenya, 6 days/5 nights in 3 different places. My Goddaughter took this same tour a couple years ago and really liked it which influenced our decision. This is our first safari, we go in mid-April. I think (hope) it will be a good introduction to safaris.

Old Mar 16th, 2024, 09:07 AM

Not only different animals, but also different scenery. The landscapes are very diverse.
We just booked a safari in Tanzania, 8 nights in 4 different places.
Our previous safari in Kenya was 7 nights in 4 different places.
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much @tracilee & @MyriamC - That seems to be what we are finding (animals & scenery dictate some moving around). We're starting to plan for our first Safari in June / July 2025. We're at the point where we think something like 1 night in either Nairobi or Arusha and then 8 nights w/ 3 different places. Still on the fence w.r.t. Kenya vs. Tanzania. Appreciate the help!

Regards,
Alan
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 01:06 PM

Hi Alan,

We did a safari, landing in Nairobi, then stopping at Amboseli NP before crossing into Tanzania. From Arusha we flew to Seronera in the Serengeti for a few nights, then stopped for a couple of nights in a lodge on the rim of Ngorongoro Crater. En route from Seronera to Ngorongoro we passed through the shortgrass plains in southern Serengeti where the wildebeest herds were at the time. This was in February, the part of the annual migration when the herds are grazing and giving birth to their young.

If you go in June or July the herds will still be in Tanzania, in a different part of the Serengeti. Below is a link to a moving map that explains the migration:
https://www.expertafrica.com/tanzani...eest-migration

The route we took was all I could have asked for: elephants in Amboseli with Mt Kilimanjaro in the background; the wildebeest migration; the many different animals in Ngorongoro Crater and the scenery there itself. We even stopped at nearby Olduvai Gorge where footprints of early man were discovered.
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much @Heimdall - that is a wonderful resource that will help us narrow things down, very much appreciated!

Regards,
Alan
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 07:48 AM

Have been on 2 safaris and was advised by all to never spend less than 3 nights per camp. On each we spent one 3 night and the rest were 4 nights which we preferred. It was better bc you get to know your guide, the animal families etc.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Interesting take @plambers. One of the advantages (it would seem) to us is that there is also less travel involved. For example two 4-night stays equals 3 travel days; four 2-night stays has 5 travel days. We're still in our "planning infancy" - and all over the map (literally .

Thanks for the feedback!
Alan

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 06:03 AM

yes the travel takes time! also remember if you stay with the same lodging family jeep transfers are free.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 06:04 AM

also, a private safari is the way to go. you pick your camps and how many nights etc. no realy $ difference.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks much, great advice @plambers - when you say "same lodging family" - not quite sure what that means?

Thanks,
Alan
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't been on a safari in ages, but went on several in the 00s and 10s. I agree with plambers, I prefer 3 nights or more in a camp when possible.

I believe when she says "same lodging family" she means a lodging group that operates in multiple parks/conservancies, e.g. Porini camps or Serena lodges, etc. I liked Kicheche very much, excellent guiding, although that was ten years ago, so things may have changed. I tended to cobble itineraries based on which parks/conservancies I wanted to visit and not camps/lodging families. So I probably never saved any money!
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by alanbrunelle6520
One of the advantages (it would seem) to us is that there is also less travel involved.
Travel days are game drives on their own. The more you drive, the more you will see. And that's why you take a safari, right?
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 06:41 AM

Yes Leely, that's what I meant. We also loved Kicheche camps, and have stayed at all of them.. We stayed at Kicheche camps for both safaris. The transportation to their Mara camps is free if you travel from one Kicheche camp to the next. There are also discounts if you stay multiple nights at their various camps.

Their standard of guiding, hospitality, food, comfort and vehicles is amazing. We are actually trying to figure out if we can afford a third safari! We went in 2017 and 2018.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again - very much appreciate all the feedback.

We will spend some time looking at the Kicheche camps!

Alan
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 04:27 AM

Most camps allow more than 2-3 days per booking.

Nick

Last edited by Moderator1; Apr 16th, 2024 at 06:57 AM. Reason: removed commercial reference