Mumbai _ Recommendations for Hotel and Neighborhood

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2024, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - We're ending a cruise in Mumbai and would like to see the city post cruise. Could someone please guide me to a good first class hotel and neighborhood? Ideally, we'd like to walk out the front door of the hotel and explore by foot. We do not object to hiring transport occasionally, but exploring and dining within walking distance of the hotel are ideal. And lastly, how many nights do you suggest in Mumbai? (see major sites, market, and any must go to restaurants). Thanks!!

Last edited by David_Dunn; Mar 12th, 2024 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 03:17 PM

For the ultimate first class in Mumbai:
historic wing of Taj Mahal hotel, next to the Gateway of India. (Disclaimer: I did not stay overnight as had only had one full daytime).Progol on this forum stayed there and spent a few days in Mumbai

I had only one full day, morning til
night— not nearly enough time. I would guess two full days (3 nights?) would be the minimum after your cruise.

Taj Mahal is in an area called Colaba. A great “have a wander” area north of there is called Fort.

You can’t see everywhere of interest in Mumbai via walking; recommend in addition to hiring transport as you mentioned, you get a good tour guide for a half-day or more.

For seafood I loved Mahesh Lunch Home restaurant.
Sites: main railroad station (Chhatrapati Shivaji Station , aka Victoria Terminus) especially if you can arrive when bike riders leave carrying lunches to the office workers. Amazing sight! not too far from there is Crawford market. I did not go, but another site is the Dhobi Ghat laundry.

What time of year will you be there? Not that it gets hot in Mumbai!

happy travels on your cruise and on land!
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 04:52 PM

CaliNurse has given you some wonderful suggestions for a visit to Mumbai. I’d recommend at least 2 full days in Mumbai, 3 would be even better, to take in some of the important sights. And, as CaliNurse suggests, hiring a guide and driver to take you around for at least part of the time would be worthwhile. It’s a large, spread out city and it would be a challenge to navigate it in your own.

And just a small correction - we stayed in the newer part of the historic Taj Mahal Palace and Tower (and upgraded to a suite!), but were able to access the historic part of the hotel as well. It’s a wonderful hotel overlooking the Gateway of India and the waterfront. There is also a poignant memorial to the victims of the 2008 Mumbai attacks that occurred at the hotel.

View from our room

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 11:45 PM

Taj Mahal Palace Heritage wing has some excellent rooms overlooking the Arabian sea. The higher category club rooms have excess to the lounge as well. The Heritage wing is several notches above the newer wing called 'tower'. The hotel is located in Colaba opposite the Gateway of India. Another very nice property, on the marine drive, is The Oberoi Mumbai...lovely views from your room of the 'Queen's necklace'! Next door to it is The Trident Nariman Point a much more affordable but equally nice place for a couple of nights!
Sassoon Docks will be interesting early in the morning when the fishing trawlers arrive with their loads.Gandhi Museum, Church gate for the Dabbawallahs, Dhobi ghat are some interesting places for sightseeing other then some other recounted by above posters. The Colaba causeway markets & Chor Bazzaar has some fine outlets for home ware & clothing.
There are several Synagogues to visit for our Jewish community. The Magen David & Keneseth Elyahoo synagogues to name some. Our Bene Israel Jews also have the first Jewish telemetry located in Mumbai.
The Leopold will make for a nice joint for dining. There are some good Parsi restaurants to try as well.
Enjoy your travels!
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 10:12 PM

And of course you can try some great sea food at Trishna, Fort Mumbai!!
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 09:11 PM

The city tourist authority arranges a good tour by bus at a modest cost. The main museum, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya, (CSMVS) and a similarly named main rail station formerly Victoria or commonly VT should not be missed. Mumbai is not much for "sites" and is a place for a moneybelt IMHO with one exception. If you are a bit adventurous and agile and if the sea is not rough then the Elaphanta ruins are a must-see. Quite an adventure. I am glad I was young then and could jump from the boat to the dock. If you get a driver I suggest having him drive you to places the tourists don't go to. That is what the city actually is. If he is creative you will have a memory that will stick. I have had some wonderful mad experiences that way, wandering through spice markets, and homes, looking from rooftops. Just smile and say namaste. India can be an amazingly welcoming joy. One fellow said I know you are CIA. I said I'll wander on. He said, no we are having our biggest demonstration of the year tomorrow and you must come. I did and had dinner with his family also.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 10:37 AM

Another vote for the Taj....I spent my first night of my India trips there in the early 70s, so I guess its changed but for sure, the historic wing.