North Wales Vs Northumberland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2024, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so conflicted and I literally can't make a decision for a driving trip the first week in September. We went to North Wales with our dog for the first time last September, and it was stunning. Our favourites were Newborough Forest, Llyn Padarn, Beddgelert-and the walks around it, Rhosneigor, and the drive along the coast from Conwy. The coast when approaching Rhosneigor from Newborough took my breath away.

However, mobile service was abysmal. It became really stressful spending our evenings looking up dog friendly restaurants and pubs and making reservations because we darent try to call from the road. It was also a lot of driving, and the signs are very unhelpful, although this time we'll know the area better. The restaurants were ok, but nothing special other than a couple good ones in Menai Bridge area. We've never been to Northumberland, but it's an hour closer (only 2 hours) to us than Wales. Our dog doesn't like the water , but we will enjoy walking the coast but also want some flat, easy (arthritis) wooded walks like we had in Wales. Googling Northumberland, it doesn't look as green or pretty as the coast in Wales, especially when you get Snowdon in the background. We're not that bothered about castles but do love good food.

My head is saying Northumberland, but my heart is saying back to Wales.

Tell me how amazing Northumberland is, please😊
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 06:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you apparently live in the UK -- you can always do the one you don't choose now at a later time. I'd do Northumberland simply because you've recently done N Wales. Hadrian's Wall, Lindesfarne, some beautiful gardens (Alnwick, Cragside, etc), good pubs in Bamburgh and other towns, the Treehouse restaurant at Alnwick, beaches -- and lots more.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 06:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh -- and welcome to Fodors
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Oh -- and welcome to Fodors
Thank you! Yes, I do live in the UK. I'm an American ex-pat. We've given up traveling back to the states and Europe and are exploring the beautiful areas of the UK now with our dog. Been to the lakes and loved it. We are self-employed and are lucky to have one week holiday a year, though (and our employee is cutting her hours so it may be the last one for awhile) -that's why I'm agonising over this.

I was just so blown away by Wales, and we were blessed with gorgeous weather. Photos of Northumberland look so bland in comparison...but it makes sense
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 10:16 AM

Northumberland will be less crowded than North Wales.
Different sort of beauty too, but still beautiful.
No guarantees on the weather in either place though.