Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Palenque/Mexico City or Palenque/Campeche?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2024, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a solo female traveler heading to Mexico for a week at the end of March. I speak spanish pretty well and have traveled quite a bit in South and Central America. With so many things to see, I am having a tough time narrowing down the options and coming up with an itinerary. Last year, I went to Oaxaca and had a wonderful time. Monte Alban was amazing and I loved the city. I tend to like charming towns more than big city bustle, but I have had great trips to both types of destinations. I like historical sites, walking around, good food, and museums.

I definitely want to go to the Palenque ruins. There are flights from Tijuana (easy to get to from here in San Diego) to the town of Villahermosa (near Palenque) with a stop in Mexico City. After a couple of days in Palenque, I could take a 6 hour bus to Campeche and tour some of the ruins in that area. From what I have read, Campeche seems like a lovely town. My return would be flights from Campeche to Mexico city to Tijuana.

An alternative would be to go from Palenque to Mexico City and spend the rest of my time there before heading home. I am interested in the museums and Teotihuacan. From the little reading I have done, it looks like there are some really nice neighborhoods and many things to see and do in the city. One benefit is that I would avoid the 6 hour bus ride to Palenque to Campeche and also have a shorter trip back to San Diego. If I go with this Palenque/Mexico City option, I would plan a different trip to Campeche in the future.

I know the best itinerary really depends on what I want to do, but I would love to hear some opinions from fodorites who have been to these areas.

Last edited by AnaBelen; Feb 10th, 2024 at 08:15 AM.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 04:33 AM

I've been to Palenque, but not Campeche. Although I was considering a Yucatan trip that included Merida & Campeche this winter but it didn't pan out. So likewise I researched Campeche. So, with that disclaimer, and your willingness to 'do' Campeche on a future trip, if it were me I'd stick with Palenque & Mexico City. So much to see & do in cdmx you could easily spend a week there & not be bored. Plus simpler logistics until the Tren Maya gets the bugs worked out.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 10:49 AM

I have been to Palenque, Mexico City and Villahermosa. I did research Campeche but decided to stay a few more days in Merida instead.

Since you only have one week I recommend visiting Palenque and Mexico City.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 03:44 AM

Campeche is a wonderful place and I highly recommend it, but not on this itinerary. That six-hour bus ride would basically eat up a whole day of a weeklong trip. Save it for another time.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the comments. You helped me sort through some of the options. I think I am going to just focus on the Palenque region and not add any other destination for this trip. I am active, but I also like to have some time to relax during a trip. It looks like there are some nice places to stay outside town that would have more of a jungle/listening to wildlife atmosphere. My list of future trips to Mexico is getting longer (Campeche, Merida, Guanajuato, CDMX), but that's not a bad thing.

My tentative plan is to fly into Villahermosa and take the bus to Palenque. I have not sorted out lodgings yet.
Activities: I will go to Palenque ruins with a guide and then go back another day and walk around without a guide. I have done that at other major sites, and I really enjoy the combination of learning from the guide but also having plenty of time to take it all in at my own pace. The tour to Yaxchilan and Bonampak looks amazing. A trip to Agua Azul and Misol-Ha is a possibility.

Of course I have more questions ; )
  • I will get into Villahermosa at about 7 pm. It looks like the last ADO bus to Palenque leaves at 9 pm. That would mean getting a cab from Palenque bus station to my hotel pretty late. If there are likely to be a fair number of people around, that would be fine. If it clears out, it might be unwise to do that while traveling solo. I could stay in Villahermosa overnight and take the bus the next day. Any experience with the Palenque bus station late at night?
  • Any suggestions on places to stay in Palenque? Someplace with a nice, relaxing feel and a restaurant on site would be great. I am looking at Hotel La Aldea de Halach Huinic, but very open to any suggestions.
  • Any comments on the Yaxchilan/Bonampak or Agua Azul/Misol-Ha excursions?

Thanks again

Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 04:33 PM

My tour group stayed at Hotel Mision Palenque.

Returned to Villahermosa and flew to CDMX.
​​​​​​
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 05:37 AM

Focusing on the Palenque area makes sense.

I have only visited Palenque bus station during dayime in the low season. It is a small bus station and not very busy.

If you choose to stay a night in Villahermosa I reccomend you to visit Parque Museo La Venta with its display of Olmec art with colossol heads and statues. The park has a nice location right next to Laguna de las Ilusiones
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 01:48 PM

I did like the Yaxchilan visit, it's an all-day thing. (Why we spent several nights in Palenque.)

If interested in wildlife you might check out the EcoParque Aluxes nearby, a good rescue/rehab facility (not a zoo).
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 04:45 PM

We stayed at Chan Kah, which looks similar to La Aldea.
https://www.chan-kah.mx/
If you're considering Agua Azul, I'd say go if you can fit it in. The turquoise falls are right up there with some in the Huasteca Potosina.