Transit hotel Changi Terminal 1

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2024, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling from Perth though to Phuket on Scoot and have booked the transit hotel. We arrive in Singapore at 2330 and depart to Phuket at 0750, so my question is, what do we do with our checked in luggage? I am finding it hard to get an answer and don't want to risk loosing our baggage. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 10:07 PM

I would strongly suggest you take carry-on luggage. We did nearly this exact timetable, except we were leaving for Mumbai early the next morning. I can't remember the exact details, but we couldn't leave the transit area to get our luggage if we wanted to stay in the transit hotel, but the airline promised our bags would be pulled from the baggage area and loaded onto our flight in the morning. The weren't and we arrived in Mumbai on our way to Goa (for a wedding) and my collection of saris collected over the years was nowhere to be found.
Once in Goa, it turned out that our luggage made it to Mumbai later that day, but due to airline rules, they couldn't send unaccompanied bags to Goa by air. It took two days for it to be trucked to Goa! My daughter and I had to buy all new outfits those days. We had three outfit changes per day, and it was a VERY upscale crowd. Luckily, we had some beautiful outfits made locally that were even fancier than the ones we'd brought, and travel insurance paid for all of them!
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, we appreciate the advice
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 08:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
As a follow up to Icuy’s suggestion to bring carryon bags only, the best solution, keep in mind that going to a warm weather destination means you won’t need bulky clothing, you can bring things that rinse out in your bathroom sink & dry relatively quickly & you can buy/have made inexpensive things there. No reason to have to check bags & fun buying local souvenirs to wear. I have an entire summer wardrobe acquired on warm weather trips, my favorites.

One caveat, pack toiletries, medications & indispensable items in a smaller personal bag in case you’re required to gate check the larger carryon bag. It can happen.

Old Jan 28th, 2024, 01:04 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We used to travel through Changi on a regular basis (we lived in Indonesia). This involved arriving on Garuda and departing on Singapore Air or United, neither of which have interline agreements with Garuda.

As soon as we arrived in Changi, we'd go to the closest Transfer Desk, and arrange a luggage transfer to our next flight. Problem solved.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jan 28th, 2024 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 12:05 AM

Melnq8, That was supposed to be the case for us, but due to the late arrival and early departure, it never happened. Again, I'd do carry on for luggage to prevent this, if having your bags arrive with you at your final destination is important!
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

If we collect our bags, we cant come back into the transit area until 3 hours before the flight, is this correct? Is there a lounge/shower area in the public area?
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 05:34 AM

The OP has a seven hour cushion, I'd have no concerns whatsoever about using the Transfer Desk.

The Transit Hotel has shower facilities you can use for a fee. It's accessible from Terminals 2, & 3.

https://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/shower-and-spa-services.html

https://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/pay-per-use-shower-and-locker-facilities.html

If you're spending those hours in the Transit Hotel, you'll have a shower. And you'll already be airside, so I don't understand your concern. There is no reason to collect your bags, leave and then try to get back in. And yes, if you do this you can only check in a few hours prior to your flight.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jan 29th, 2024 at 05:43 AM.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 02:21 PM

Interesting topic, as we'll be in the same boat in a couple of weeks. We are traveling on a single ticket with Singapore Airlines, with a long layover (15 hrs) in Singapore. We booked the transit hotel for the night, and I assumed the airline will make sure the bags will make it on our flight the next day. Am I wrong to assume that? Anything I can do to verify/confirm the bags are on our flight the next day? Thank you.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 04:10 PM

Am I wrong to assume that?

No, you're not wrong. Your bags will be transferred automatically, regardless of layover time as long as they're checked through to your final destination when you check in for your first flight.

If you're worried about it (which you shouldn't be) I guess you could verify at the Transfer Desk, but this is Changi, the most efficient airport in the world

Last edited by Melnq8; Jan 30th, 2024 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 04:18 PM

As for the OP, if they're traveling on one ticket, they won't need to mess with the Transfer Desk either. I was thinking they were arriving on one airline and departing on another, but sounds like they're on Scoot the entire way? They can just check their luggage through to their final destination as well.
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 05:59 AM

Thanks, Melnq8. That's what I was thinking too, but this post made me wonder. No worries now 😄
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 04:41 PM

The original post asked "..so my question is, what do we do with our checked in luggage? I am finding it hard to get an answer and don't want to risk loosing our baggage".
Singapore'S Changi is known for its efficiency, and yes, the bags SHOULD be transferred automatically if the two flights are on the same ticket or if you have stopped at a transfer desk.
However, mistakes DO happen, no matter what you assume. If you really don't want to risk losing your luggage, you should consider carrying on your luggage.