Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 nights in Czech. Cesky Krumlov yes/no?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2023, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - looking for some advice or input regarding an itinerary choice I need to make. We will be in Czech (currently planned to be in Prague, which is where we're flying into) for 5 nights in mid-March and then we'll be off to Munich for the rest of the trip. First timers for both. Regarding Czech, I keep reading about Cesky Krumlov and how its a fun side destination, but I feel like a day trip from Prague just doesn't seem ideal given the travel times to get there and back.

So, I'm looking to decide between two different itineraries here:

1 - Skip Cesky Krumlov, spend the 5 nights in Prague and focus on closer day-trip destinations (Kutna Hora, Terezin Memorial possibly, Karlstejn, etc). Then train to Munich.
2 - Rent a car for the last two nights in Czech, drive from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, stay there for those last two nights, then drive to Munich. Possibly hit some other destinations (quickly) along the way. Haven't looked for lodging or a car yet, so its possible I'm too late.

I really don't know which to choose. Up until recently, #1 was all I had planned. There's a lot to do in Prague, but we're also a mix of loving both city and small town life so we see value in splitting the trip. Any thoughts from those who have been?

Thanks!
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 10:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
4 nights in Prague 1 night in CK. I had 5 nights in Prague and 1 in CK and could have used more!
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 10:54 PM

Only three nights in Prague is pretty short, especially considering that one is your arrival day, when you have getting to your hotel, jet lag, etc. I had five nights there and it was far from too much. On the other hand, I really liked Cesky Krumlov, had three nights there. (I realize most people do it as a day trip or have one night there, I would not have done it as a day trip, but that's just me, I move more slowly than most.)

If you click on my name, you can read my report. Skip the fiasco stuff if you like 😀, you can scroll down to the Cesky Krumlov and Prague sections.
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 02:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd take the train.

Pilsen is a good day trip, visit the brewery, see the town centre.

seat61.com on how to use a train
local train system https://www.cd.cz/en/
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 05:58 AM

There are daily buses from Krumlov to Linz, Salzburg and Munich. If you take a Linz or Salzburg bound bus, you can change there to a direct train to Munich.
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 07:33 AM

Yes, check the bus vs train. In the Czech Republic, often the bus is not only cheaper, but it's also faster. The bus is better between Prague and Cesky Krumlov.

Last edited by SusanP; Dec 28th, 2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The cost of picking up a rental car in Prague and dropping it in Munich should be investigated....
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 04:12 AM

I don't think you should skip Cesky Krumlov. It's a real medieval gem and warrants 2 nights in my opinion. Prague of course is spectacular and will warrant coming back to however long you stay for this time.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by SusanP
Only three nights in Prague is pretty short, especially considering that one is your arrival day, when you have getting to your hotel, jet lag, etc. I had five nights there and it was far from too much. On the other hand, I really liked Cesky Krumlov, had three nights there. (I realize most people do it as a day trip or have one night there, I would not have done it as a day trip, but that's just me, I move more slowly than most.)

If you click on my name, you can read my report. Skip the fiasco stuff if you like 😀, you can scroll down to the Cesky Krumlov and Prague sections.
Hi Susan, clicked on your name and can’t find what you wrote about Cesky K. Would love to read it.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 09:01 PM

I felt my 3 nights in Prague wasn't enough.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 09:59 PM

No-one talks much about Brno here but it is quite a different experience to Prague. The old town is very pretty. Less English is spoken there, but that's part of the adventure!

Lavandula
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 05:58 AM

I've been to Brno, and I think it's a low priority. So many other worthwhile destinations in Moravia. however, it is convenient place to stop, which is why I ended up there.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 07:30 AM

I used to live in Prague and also agree that Cesky Krumlov shouldn't be missed - and I think it's fine as a day trip! You'll def want all 5 nights in Prague to explore.

I don't necessarily know that the OP needs to go there this trip, but Lavandula, I also agree that Brno is great! Such a charming little city.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by andyoinsefl
Hi Susan, clicked on your name and can’t find what you wrote about Cesky K. Would love to read it.
After clicking on my name, scroll down to the "Trip Reports by Me" Section. It's the report about Dresden and the Czech Republic.