Could use travel advice about choosing Australia vs Asia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2023, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I have 10 days off (planning late because it was a surprise vacation) in late Nov/Early Dec and I’ve been going back and forth between going to Australia or doing a Hong Kong and Taiwan trip.

At first I decided to do Australia and booked my airfare (it’s changeable so wouldn’t cost me anything to rebook to Hong Kong) and even told my friend that I’ll be coming there. But now I’m having second thoughts.

My original itinerary was gonna be a mix of Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) however I read that it’s a less ideal time to visit the GBR and also I’m realizing that if I only have 8 full days, it’s gonna be hard to do Australia justice. If I can’t do the GBR then I was gonna combine Sydney and Melbourne. However that is not the best of Australia. Timing also means I won't be able to enjoy the tropical parts to best advantage, and that was one of the most important things on my wish list.

On the other hand, my friend who lives in Aus has a lot of free time rn, but next year won’t.

My interests are hiking/scenery, cities, beautiful skylines, food, and beaches.

I also heard it was more ideal to visit Hong Kong and Taiwan right now.

So:

Option A:

- Visit Australia rn and get a taste
- Come back to HK and Taiwan in the spring

Option B:

- Visit HK and Taiwan rn
- Come back to Australia when I have more time

Any advice?
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FriendlyTraveler5

Hi everyone,

I have 10 days off (planning late because it was a surprise vacation) in late Nov/Early Dec and I’ve been going back and forth between going to Australia or doing a Hong Kong and Taiwan trip.

At first I decided to do Australia and booked my airfare (it’s changeable so wouldn’t cost me anything to rebook to Hong Kong) and even told my friend that I’ll be coming there. But now I’m having second thoughts.

My original itinerary was gonna be a mix of Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) however I read that it’s a less ideal time to visit the GBR and also I’m realizing that if I only have 8 full days, it’s gonna be hard to do Australia justice. If I can’t do the GBR then I was gonna combine Sydney and Melbourne. However that is not the best of Australia. Timing also means I won't be able to enjoy the tropical parts to best advantage, and that was one of the most important things on my wish list.

On the other hand, my friend who lives in Aus has a lot of free time rn, but next year won’t.

My interests are hiking/scenery, cities, beautiful skylines, food, and beaches.

I also heard it was more ideal to visit Hong Kong and Taiwan right now.

So:

Option A:

- Visit Australia rn and get a taste
- Come back to HK and Taiwan in the spring

Option B:

- Visit HK and Taiwan rn
- Come back to Australia when I have more time

Any advice?
Edit: nvm, prices have gone up so much on flights that Asia will be too expensive