Ideas for 2 days after cruising back to Seattle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2023, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a cruise round trip from Seattle.
I would like to spend a couple of days doing something within driving distance from Seattle.
We love photography, hiking, and wildlife.
We live in Texas so this area is unfamiliar.
Not sure if we should drive to Canada, or go to Mt Rainier, or the Olympic Peninsula, or the Northern Cascades.
It will just be a quick taste so we can think about longer trips in the future.
I know I have left this wide open but any ideas are welcome as it might spark a thought, something we have not considered.
Thanks so much
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 07:10 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to be nitpicking, but little details matter.

First, when will this be? And second, does a "couple of days" mean 2 days and 2 nights, or your arrival (disembarkation) day plus two more? Or disembarkation day, the day after, and departure on the third day?

If, for example, you plan to get a car the morning you arrive, then head out of town for that day and all of the next, then return and depart on the third morning, that would open one set of possibilities. If you arrive on, say, a Saturday morning and are flying out Sunday night, the difference might be important. You get the idea.

A few things, though. First, Olympic National Park really needs three days at a minimum. It takes half a day to get to the closest major visitor destination in the park, and because the highlights are spread around the park's (huge) periphery, it takes hours of driving, on boring roads outside the park, to get from one highlight to the next. And if you're traveling on the weekends, traffic and ferry delays getting to and from ONP from Seattle can add hours to the plan.

Mount Rainier is closer and more convenient - around 2 1/2 hours from downtown Seattle to the Paradise visitor center, but of course that can be a blessing and a curse. Again, especially on weekends, there can be long queues at the park entrances, and full parking lots at the visitor centers. Mount Rainier is spectacular and worth a visit, but don't forget you'll have seen a LOT of mountain and glacier scenery, IMO much of it equally impressive, the week before in Alaska.

North Cascades National Park is primarily a hike-in destination, with very minimal (basically no) visitor facilities within the national park itself. If you're keen hikers, this could be a good option, but you'd need to plan your trip carefully to ensure you'd have someplace to park, to stay, and to eat, assuming you're not planning to go backpacking with tent etc. The closest point of access to NCNP is still 2 -3 hours' drive from Seattle, and that's to an overlook or trailhead, not actually into the park itself.

As far as crossing into Canada goes, of course the possibility exists for delays at the border, but most of the time you can be in downtown Vancouver in around 3 to 3 1/2 hours after leaving Seattle. Of course, that's a big city and I'm not sure how it squares with your priorities, but it's a possibility. If your "road trip" days include a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, you might get a big kick out of the amazing Richmond Night Market, a huge collection of food stalls, craft stalls, music and entertainment - almost all of it Asian in origin, which is held in Richmond, a suburb south of Vancouver (near the airport) which would be a serious change-of--pace (and a blast.)

Again, not knowing your specific dates, this might not apply, but google these possible routes for some terrific scenery and a real introduction to our part of the world.

1. Picture Lake, Artist Point, the Night Market and Chuckanut Drive. Google the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/H38uWEFGvbcuWq2E8

This would include one of the scenic highlights of Washington State, the view of Mt. Shuksan from Picture Lake, at the end of the Mount Baker Highway (SR 542.) This is a view into North Cascades NP from outside it, but it's a glorious one. There are excellent hikes - easy to hard - that leave from this area.

2. If crossing into Canada is not possible (or if you don't want to wait at the border, or if the night market isn't of interest, here's an alternative route back to Seattle that would still give you some very enjoyable experiences. Again, google the locations: https://goo.gl/maps/SPeihaMbQYSWKEjp6

This would add Whidbey Island to the loop - picturesque little towns, impressive Deception Pass, Fort Casey with its coastal defense gun batteries, and maybe a stop at the Boeing Everett assembly plant, home of the big jets and the biggest building in the world.

Again, these are some suggestions but it's important to know some details of your planned visit.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jun 8th, 2023 at 07:18 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 07:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with Gardyloo. Mt. Rainier makes the most sense. Hotel rooms in Seattle are very expensive during the cruise boat season and sometimes they are all booked. If you go with the Mt. Rainer route, try to book a night in Packwood. One early morning I was driving through "downtown" Packwood and I saw a herd of elk cross US12.
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 10:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most of the places you named are too far from Seattle and/or too large to see in only a 2-day trip (Olympic National Park, North Cascades National Park, Canada).

I guess you could rent a car and take a day trip up to Vancouver if Canada is a priority. That's approx 3 hours north, all freeway driving.

My suggestion would be something like Whidbey Island or maybe the San Juan Islands. You can get out to the Washington (pacific) coast in about 3 hours drive, towns like Westport, Ocean Shores, etc. Or over to the North Cascades but not the park itself, there are guest houses in towns like Winthrop, Mazama, places along the Methow river.

Welcome! suze, in seattle
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Phototaker
We are going on a cruise round trip from Seattle.
I would like to spend a couple of days doing something within driving distance from Seattle.
We love photography, hiking, and wildlife.
We live in Texas so this area is unfamiliar.
Not sure if we should drive to Canada, or go to Mt Rainier, or the Olympic Peninsula, or the Northern Cascades.
It will just be a quick taste so we can think about longer trips in the future.
I know I have left this wide open but any ideas are welcome as it might spark a thought, something we have not considered.
Thanks so much

I... do like the effort you offered at some details...

Although I sense that you won't be surprised when nobody can exactly solve your would-be equation.

But lets see... for your living in Texas, I am guessing that you don't have ferry boats in plentiful supply...

So that inspires me to suggest that you consider a path west from Seattle, across the water on a ferryboat... from which you can get photo angles in all directions that aren't as easily duplicated on land.

Furthermore... Texas doesn't offer the match to Mount Rainier... so it seems reasonable that you should go to visit Mount Rainier... especially because it is so relatively near to Seattle, and it would let you gain considerable sense for other options for those future trips you might plan. Surely the photography there would meet your interests.

While I am considerably familiar with the various considerations you cite here, I'm gonna go out on a limb and inspire you to focus on the idea of a short-ish road trip to Mount Rainer National Park... and to add something on the western peninsula of your own choosing. Heck, maybe just the long drive around the Olympic Peninula for now... anticipating a future time when Hurricane Ridge is fully accessible again, for a more thorough visit.

Heck, what if you choreographed a short stay here similar to this:

Arrive in Seattle (by boat or plane, depending upon which end of your trip you are targeting)... Soon take a ferry across the water, and drive northward and around the peninsula... via Port Angeles and Forks and the like... then down toward Ocean Shores... and then Aberdeen... and then east from there to a strategic spot to stay, from which you can get to Mount Rainier as early as suits you the next day, for a full day of nature and hiking and photography there?

(shrug - we all know you CAN'T hope to cover all of the things in your list of possibilities... but for this short window, at least you'd make important progress, without tooooooooooo much time on the road... while further opening your thoughts to stuff you could do upon returning with more time)

"Canada" (even just the far-western cities) deserves more than a couple of days... so that should probably be crossed-off in your situation.

"North Cascades" can be done in two days, but that takes up your entire block of time, and doesn't give you as much exposure to the other possibilities for the future.

I know I'm not "solving" anything, but hopefully just helping you to decide for yourself.

Old Jun 9th, 2023, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

This helps

Sorry I was so vague but I usually plan for many months before a trip and this one was unexpected and I was feeling panicky about should I do extra days or not - and airline tickets, etc. But finally decided ok, I haven't won the lottery but still, I'm in WA I need to try and do something while there .... and just threw it out there in this forum to see if it helped. I don't know anything about border crossings or your ferry system (we've only been on the ferry here that goes from Galveston to the mainland and it's free and no reservation needed you just sit in your vehicle and wait your turn).

Well it did. I felt a consensus here that Mt Ranier would be a great choice and it sounds like the other two could be challenging. I still need to work out some details but I have time enough to do that. We're coming back in from the cruise on a Saturday in late August and we decided to spend 3 nights and then drive back to Seattle Tuesday late afternoon to fly out. So I still need to work out getting a taxi/shuttle to the airport to pick up a car (not the cheapest but it will be an easier return) and at some point do I need to book a ferry to get to Mt Rainier or is there a bridge. At this late date not a lot of choices in hotel but found something in Packwood to home base from.

I just wanted to thank y'all for your contributions to my frenetic search for clarity.
Thanks to everyone.
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 09:33 AM

{do I need to book a ferry to get to Mt Rainier or is there a bridge}

Neither one Mt Rainier is not surrounded by water. You just drive a car on roads to get there.

When people mentioned using ferries that would be for islands, like Whidbey, San Juans, Bainbridge, Vashon, Victoria,etc.
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

oh ha ha - duh - the ferry/bridge comment came from when I was thinking about going to Port Angeles and going to Victoria. I see we don't need that going to Rainier.

Thanks - that's one less thing to think about
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 09:53 AM

All in good spirit. Happy to help if you ever need a ferry to get to Mt Rainier... something has gone terribly wrong out here -lol!
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Phototaker

Well it did. I felt a consensus here that Mt Ranier would be a great choice and it sounds like the other two could be challenging. I still need to work out some details but I have time enough to do that. We're coming back in from the cruise on a Saturday in late August and we decided to spend 3 nights and then drive back to Seattle Tuesday late afternoon to fly out. So I still need to work out getting a taxi/shuttle to the airport to pick up a car (not the cheapest but it will be an easier return) and at some point do I need to book a ferry to get to Mt Rainier or is there a bridge. At this late date not a lot of choices in hotel but found something in Packwood to home base from.

I just wanted to thank y'all for your contributions to my frenetic search for clarity.
Thanks to everyone.
LOL @ the last part

OK, so, now we know we're talking about AF-ter your cruise.

SO you arrive to the downtown area by boat

(Idea being to get a car soon and drive-off somewhere, returning at the airport for convenience)

IF you do it that way, the "Link Light Rail" {under central Seattle} can get you right to the airport with considerable convenience... a LONG walk on the airport end... but few dramas other than that.

I
get it for the convenience on the other end.

BUT, because the Link Light Rail IS in fact so convenient... it wouldn't be absurd to pick up and drop off in central seattle and then take the rail back to the airport to fly out.

You must know just when your flight out of Seattle will leave... provided it isn't at some early-morning hour, then the downtown thing would be comfortable.

If it IS at 8:00am or the like... then you may want to be staying AT an airport hotel for the semi-convenience of that... and could still afford to NOT have a rental car in the morning, and NOT pay airport (taxes) on such a thing.

Another consideration is to time your 24-hour rental car days in optimum fashion... where IF you can reduce the days needed, by centering your rental window when you absolutely NEED the car... and then, say, using the light rail to get from downtown to the airport... maybe you will evolve to STAY the last night downtown... having already dropped off the rental car where you got it... and then taking the light rail to the airport on fly-out day.

The Link Light Rail runs under third avenue in central Seattle... so maybe use that to ponder your rental location options, and/or those for a hotel for your last night here.

(re-reading) Oh, is the FLIGHT itself "Late on a Tuesday" ???

(or is that just when you're "driving back to Seattle" ??)

and "back from the cruise on a Saturday"... I don't know what time that is...

(but perhaps either you spend the first night at a downtown Hotel (Saturday night)... pick up your car on Sunday DOWNTOWN, for a 48-hour rental... returning on Tuesday... in time to get the Light Rail to the airport.... OR you get off the Ferry on Saturday at some point... and go as soon as possible to the airport to get a rental car before driving off then.

(* airport car rental place is a shuttle ride away from the airport... and it is a few blocks walk from the Tukwila Light Rail station, with the last part up hill)

DON'T waste the money on a taxi/shuttle to the airport even IF you're just going there to get the rental car...

Take the Link Light Rail IF you want to do that...
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 08:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If looking for relatively cheap lodging in Seattle you might want to try to book at the HI Hostel (520 King St.) which was the former American Hotel. It is a few blocks from the Amtrak station and the football stadium.
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

NorthwestMale - oh no - looks like my reply to you didn't post - really tired now not sure what all I said but -
It looks like you are also detail oriented.

I was making myself crazy with all the thoughts of making use of 24 hour days for the rental car and not staying near the airport to save money.
Decided to spend a little more and save myself some stress.

So we arrive back at pier 91 at 7am Saturday and we can get off the ship at ? let's hope by 9:30. I saw someone say on another forum that the light rail station closest to pier 91 was Westlake? I think 4 miles away so that's a no-go. So we may just take a bus or whatever presents itself. Then go to the airport, right you are - for easier return. Get the car, drive to Rainier and see that, drive back to the airport Monday evening and return the car. Walk to our airport hotel and if feeling energetic Tues morning take the light rail to Pike Market for breakfast... but maybe that's crazy 'cause the flight is at 4pm so we'd want to be back by 2pm. I could just swim in the hotel pool ....

gotta cram in all the fun we can while in decent temperatures. We're having a long stretch of over 100 degree temps here in TX and its only June.

Thanks for reading and for your info.
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 09:53 PM

Yes Westlake is the "closest" LightRail stop but it's nowhere near Pier 91. I would have a plan, not count on "whatever presents itself" because Pier 91 is in an odd area not particularly convenient for transportation.

LightRail works fine between downtown Seattle and SeaTac airport (the downtown stations are (in order north to south): Westlake, University Street, Pioneer Square, ID/Chinatown, Stadiums).
Old Jun 22nd, 2023, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Suze: I thought maybe some taxis would show up looking for business. But if not we could probably get an Uber to come.
Thank you
Old Jun 22nd, 2023, 06:53 PM

I am sure both taxis and uber are around. But there are also a lot of other people getting off a cruise ship when it docks (was what I was getting at).
Old Jun 22nd, 2023, 08:39 PM

For getting back to the airport, have you looked into either the transfer offered by your cruise ship or an independent shared shuttle service?

That's what I used in Whittier to get to the Anchorage airport to pickup a car rental.

If you do want to hire an Uber/ taxi, consider doing a "self-assist" walk off with your own bags... you can be off the ship in an hour or less. Unless something unusual happens the ships usually tie up early to allow for the Port officials to clear them for on time disembarkation. They need the maximum time to turn rooms for the next cruise. If you are one of the first off I would not expect issues finding a ride to the rail station. All 2000 people obviously don't get off at the same time, they stagger disembarkation times as anyone who has ever cruised well knows.

If you haven't been on cruise critic that is a good place to ask these very specific questions, there are plenty of people who cruise almost every year from the various West Coast ports.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 22nd, 2023 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 06:56 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Seattle Express - Seattle Express | Tours & Transportation Services in Seattle, Washington - will take you to the airport for 20 bucks each. A cab or Uber will run closer to $60 (i.e. $30pp) but note the Uber/Lyft pickup location is a longer walk from the terminal. In my opinion trying to save ten bucks by going to the Westlake light rail station, shlepping bags down elevators or escalators (or stairs if the above aren't working) is a serious pain and will basically triple the time needed to get from Pier 91 to the airport. Worth it?

There will be an endless string of taxis at the dock. Hailing cabs on the street is not a Seattle thing; you're supposed to use designated taxi zones, but honestly, on cruise days all the cabs will be at the docks, not cruising for cheap fares downtown. If you want to hail an Uber, how will you know who to wave your arms at?
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 10:25 AM

You might do well to find a way to optimize the unique fact that The bus (# 33) which runs nearest to Pier 91 just happens to turn into bus route #124 which goes right to the Tukwila Light Rail Station.

*** this is NOT AT ALL useful/important for the light rail itself... BUT the Tukwila Station is nearest to the airport rental car facility. (were you actually AT/going to the airport ITSELF... you'd be a mile or two away, and need to take a rental car shuttle to the rental car facility)

Online resources say it takes about ONE HOUR to get from Pier 91 to the Tukwila Light Rail Station.

The trip
will be on something of a dull-to-ME bus route (largely # 124)... but for you it would all be new territory, and bus #124 passes directly in front of Boeing Field, and the Museum of Flight.

######################
I cannot stress enough that the path between the Tukwila Light Rail Station IS NOT ONE that you eagerly embark upon when tired from a cruise, and with heavy suitcases you need to lug... this is because THE LAST PART of the path is UP HILL (between Tukwila International Blvd. and the rental facility itself).

IF one person stays at the Tukwila Station / Park & Ride / Bus area with the bags, and the other walks in shirtsleeves (or under a giant umbrella, with a warm jacket... though probably shirtsleeves ) toward and to the Rental Car Facility... the walk might be 20 minutes... huffing and puffing up the hill (cough, 70-75 degree weather and all)... THEN endures whatever delays the rental car place can inspire (ON a Saturday mid-day) (considerable)... and eventually, upon getting the car, returns to the Tukwila Light Rail Station to get to the person holding the bags... then all parties should be good, with hopefully minimal expense endured.

Heck, you could even finesse something with an airport hotel that might send a shuttle for you to the Tukwila Light Rail Station, IF it were strategic that you'd spend a night there near the airport, and then do your rental for 48-hours beginning on Sunday... returning before your flight on Tuesday.

At any rate, bus #33 is what will get you from nearest Pier 91 to central Seattle

https://kingcounty.gov/en/dept/metro...dules-and-maps

https://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/#/app/tripplanning

#################
Again: Bus #33 from Magnolia / Pier 91... just happens to conveniently become Route #124 to Tukwila Light Rail Station... so you do NOT have to get off of one bus and onto another for that
#################

Passes through the center of Seattle... on 3rd avenue, even... with the Light Rail itself underground below 3rd avenue.

Bus Fare from Pier 91 to Tukwila in this way is $2.75 per person.

Tukwila Station doubles as a park & ride lot... and lots of people are around... and quite typical during daytime hours there may even be police stationed there.

(by Seattle standards it's not our absolute favorite environment... but there are fast food places within walking distance (hey, maybe that's the move... bring the one person and the luggage to... McDonald's... where they wait for the other to go and retrieve the car)

(by Texas standards... you probably won't even find reasons for any concern at all if there in daylight hours... beneath a light rail that runs every 15 or 20 minutes in both directions. )

Most serious threat of harm is that done to you by your travel partner IF you state it a 'good idea' to roll/carry all of the bags on the entire path from Tukwila Link Station to the airport car rental facility (the block-ish UP hill at the end being the main hurdle).

Another medium-NOT-far-fetched idea is getting off the #124 bus with your "transfer" and then taking the "A" bus for the duration of ONE STOP to the foot of the steep hill...
and then enduring whatever beating your travel partner dishes out to you
AT the rental car facility for having claimed that a 'good idea'.

It may take so long to get your car that you'll recover from the wounds (or at least from the exhaustion from the earlier hill itself) before driving off.

Now consider this when juxtaposed against the expenses of cabs and needless other arrangements. (the freedom from airport rental car TAXES could let you upgrade your lodging somewhere if you finesse that sort of a path) (which entails getting a car elsewhere in Seattle).

Hope this gives you some confidence, or at least some hope...

LOL

Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
There will be an endless string of taxis at the dock. Hailing cabs on the street is not a Seattle thing; you're supposed to use designated taxi zones, but honestly, on cruise days all the cabs will be at the docks, not cruising for cheap fares downtown. If you want to hail an Uber, how will you know who to wave your arms at?
Usually you have the vehicle color, make model, license plate and photo of the driver, that's how you know. And then you track them on the App. And they have a photo of you if you put on your profile. And you can also contact them by phone if the App shows they are at the pickup spot and you don't see them. Have you never taken an Uber? Is that unique to Seattle, that people don't use Uber?
SMH.

I would ask on cruise critic as to the easiest transfer from that Pier. Sometimes there are issues with ship shuttles, sometimes it's hard to find the Uber pickup spot and a taxi is easier, etc.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 23rd, 2023 at 11:15 AM.