Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Any good way to see the outback on my way driving from Cairns to Sydney?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2023, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of planning a trip to the east coast of Australia. So excited for all the amazing coastal towns I'll be visiting and animals I'll get to see. I would really like to see the outback though. It would be sad for me to fly all the way to Australia and not see that quintessential red sand. Despite my extremely extensive research, (I have never spent this much time researching a location before, my bf thinks I'm crazy.) I haven't found anything about adding an outback stop on a east coast road trip that doesn't require a flight. Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

PS - I know Australia is very large and the outback is a ways off the coast but my plans do have some wiggle room and I'd really love to make this happen!

The trip will be a month and some change.
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not easily.

The outback is exactly the opposite of the coast.

You could make a detour from Cairns to Undara Lave tubes.
https://www.tropicalnorthqueensland....ra-lava-tubes/

Undara is nowhere near the outback, though.

Other option is to fly to Uluru, or Alice Springs and tour around from there. This is a pretty big country. The outback is...out the back!
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's because the outback is a long, long way from the coast. You could divide up your trip between the coast and the outback with a flight in between. Another idea, is drive to Longreach and Winton to see something other than coast scenery. I've not been to these places, mostly because they are a bit off the beaten track. There is a train that goes to Longreach, https://www.queenslandrailtravel.com...itoftheoutback but be aware the trains are slow and not cheap. We did the train trip from Cairns to Brisbane last year and it took about 25 hours. We had a bed and meals provided but once was enough. I did a report from that trip and another trip report, a few years ago, from our drive from Brisbane to Cooktown. It might give you some ideas (just click on my screen name).

You said you're driving from Cairns to Sydney. So flying into Cairns and flying out from Sydney? Just asking because it's a long drive that you're planning. Don't use Google Maps times as your guide. We always find it takes us a lot longer. You get stuck in traffic, there are roadworks holding everything up, you need to detour to find toilets, you need to stop and eat, blah blah. Add on a couple of hours for all that. Also what time of year are you coming? Roughly November to April is the wet season in the north and there can be severe tropical storms. I hope you have a wonderful trip whatever you decide to do. You could do the coast this time and the outback next time
Old May 13th, 2023, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Monica,
Where are you from? It helps us give context to our responses and tips if we know what country/city/town people are coming from. For instance, someone coming from Canada, Germany or the UK in February would be likely to feel the heat & humidity in our northern regions more than someone from Malaysia.

You say you know Australia's a big country - but did you realise just how big it is? Australia – size map: https://www.virtualoceania.net/austr...ustralia.shtml

Old May 13th, 2023, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There's a new low cost airline - Bonza - which is servicing regional domestic routes not flown by other carriers at very good rates.
https://www.flybonza.com
That may open up some possibilities for you. Just remember, once you're in a remote area, you will need a vehicle or someone to drive you. Despite what some people seem to think, "Outback" and "Public Transport" are mutually exclusive here.

You'll need a Visa unless you're an Australian or a New Zealander. Use this link to see which one you need and apply now if you don't already have yours approved. VISA FINDER: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...sa/visa-finder