Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SALVO - NORTH CAROLINA - what can the girls do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, My sister and I are accompanying two kiteboarders for almost two weeks staying in SALVO mid to late April through early May.
They'll be kite boarding while we two girls...do what?
We want to explore, hike, food shop, cook, do yoga, exercise, explore explore expore, hike hike hike.
Maybe do some second hand thrift shop shopping.
We'll rent our own car so we can get around.
My questions are, I hear there isn't much around - can anyone tell me what we should expect to find there? How far are the grocery stores, say? Do they have whole foods, trader joes, that type?
Are there restaurants around, or do you have to go pretty far out?
Thrift stores?
Where do you recommend we go hiking? Exploring? Love tidal pools myself. Love nature, and birds (but not an early riser )
Lastly, what can we expect weather wise? Should we bring long pants mostly, or capris, will it be hot, cool, or humid generally speaking, hopefully not a lot of rain this time of year.
Just beginning to pack, so this information will be helpful as well as helpful with gathering thoughts for our activities.
We are excited to go to NC. Never been there before!
Thank you!
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 11:26 AM
J62

You can google “supermarket near salvo NC”
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 12:27 PM

Seven years ago, a bunch of us stayed in a house near Kitty Hawk*. We visited Manteo to find an art gallery we were told about. There was a fair number of shops. Looks like it's about 30 miles from Salvo...might be ok for shopping. Our grocery was near the house.

Also, look at the "Related Topics" below.....one mentions Salvo.

*Very interesting for Wright brothers btw.

Last edited by TDudette; Mar 30th, 2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See: https://hatterasguide.com/salvo-nc

Sounds like the "girls" (if you are old enough to drive you are women) are headed to the wrong place.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 04:01 PM

I think you will have a great time on the Outer Banks. Salvo and the two other little towns just north-Avon and Rodanthe- have some cute shops and a grocery. Further north (20-30 miles) you will find lots of stores. There are several lighthouses on the Outer Banks, a bit south is Cape Hatteras. You will need a car but there are lots of places to explore and hike. Weather-yes. It could be warm and humid or cool (ocean breezes). I think you will find plenty to occupy your time.
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 03:52 PM

Bonner Bridge Pier (Pea Island) at Oregon Inlet (and Lifesaving Station views) especially at sunset. https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/bonner-bridge-pier.htm
https://coastalreview.org/2022/12/1898-oregon-inlet-life-saving-station-must-go-but-where/

Bodie Island Lighthouse, Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, the Lighthouse at Hatteras Island, Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum. Fascinating history of Pea Island Live Saving Station https://obxstuff.com/blogs/guides/th...saving-station

There is a Food Lion in Avon (Island Bakery in the same center), Conner's in Buxton, Lee Robinson General Store in Hatteras. Dinky's Waterfront Restaurant (Village Marina in Hatteras), Blue Water Grill and Raw Bar (Manteo on Roanoke Island).

PS I'm not a shopper, can't help. But I seem to remember that the Chicamacomico Historic Site had some interesting things in their gift shop. That is in Rodanthe, right near Salvo.
https://chicamacomico.org/

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 31st, 2023 at 04:51 PM.
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

of course, thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

THank you

Much appreciateD