Glarus/Glarnerland

Search

Glarus/Glarnerland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2023, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Glarus/Glarnerland

We've been visiting Switzerland on a semi-regular basis for about 30 years, and I'm always on the prowl for new areas to explore.

I'm in the very early stages of planning a 4-5 week return visit in Sept/Oct 2023 and trying to narrow down where we'd like to go this time...we usually revisit a few favorites, but also try to incorporate completely new areas on each trip.

I'm curious about Glarnerland - which we've never explored. It looks like it might be right up our alley with plentiful hiking opportunites and beautiful scenery. Best as I can tell, our options for a base would be either Glarus or car-free Braunwald?

I haven't found much about this area on travel forums, and am curious if contributors have any thoughts on this area as a base for five nights during autumn - we like peace, quiet, beautiful scenery, and moderate hikes. We don't need much more than public transport, an apartment, a grocery store and a restaurant or two. Braunwald seems similiar in size to Grimentz, which we've stayed in twice and plan to return to this year as well.

I know this is vague, but I'm just trying to get a feel for the area and would appreciate any thoughts.
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glarus is growing due to its excellent train connections to Zürich. I haven't been to Braunwald for ages but have a lovely story on how I was newly single and a funicular employee took me on a hike to show me where the edelweiss grew. We went off the path onto a ridge and peaked over a cliff and there they were, nestled in the rocks.

Anyway, Braunwald is certainly pleasant for a few days but I wouldn't want to stay longer. Glarus is known for some incredible hikes and its chocolate (Laderach). There are two beautiful passes which are the Klausen (which takes you through Urnerboden, a small authentic alpine village on a plataeu right before going to the top of the pass) and the Pragel Pass (only open on weekdays). Glarnerland is one very long valley that still has a 1950s feel to it, especially as you continue towards the end of it.

Another highlight in Glarnerland is Elm, an old village that was partially destroyed by an avalanche one hundred years ago. It's boasts intact old wooden homes, a ski resort and more enjoyable hikes.

If you are into exploring various areas of Switzerland, Glarnerland should indeed be on your list.

Old Mar 19th, 2023, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic, kleeblatt, sounds like our kind of place. And Laderach is a bonus. I've been known to go well out of my way to visit the Laderach factory in Bilten (more than once).

I haven't checked transport from Glarus to Braunwald or Elm...would Glarus make a good base for five nights? It seems a bit big (lol, population of 5,800) assume we can get to Braunwald and Elm easily enough from there? Have to say though, Braunwald sort of speaks to me.

Old Mar 19th, 2023, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Melnq8
Fantastic, kleeblatt, sounds like our kind of place. And Laderach is a bonus. I've been known to go well out of my way to visit the Laderach factory in Bilten (more than once).

I haven't checked transport from Glarus to Braunwald or Elm...would Glarus make a good base for five nights? It seems a bit big (lol, population of 5,800) assume we can get to Braunwald and Elm easily enough from there? Have to say though, Braunwald sort of speaks to me.
Then you should go and satisfy that alpine craving of exploring a car-free resort. Braunwald is also known for its Zwerghike, which wasn't as easy as one would think since it is geared towards children.

Did you know the last witch to be condemned and sentenced to death happened in Glarus? I don't know Glarus well but it certainly would be worth getting to know.
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Did you know the last witch to be condemned and sentenced to death happened in Glarus?

No...interesting tidbit!
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 01:20 PM

Did you know the last witch to be condemned and sentenced to death happened in Glarus?

No...interesting tidbit!
The Story of Anna Göldi, the Last 'Witch' Executed in Europe (theculturetrip.com)
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ellm will not have much sun in October. and the most interesting hiking trails there are rather steep...
Braunwald is sunny and has several not strnuous hiking trails (at least as long as the gondolas run)...
Braunwald is the best place in the Canton of Glaris, but only if you don't want to do day trips to other aeras of Switzerland.
But don't compare Braunwald with Grimentz!
Grimentz is in the heart of the Alps, close to tons of glaciers and mountain villages.
Braunwald is the only mountain village in the Canton of Glaris and there are no snow mountains or glaciers in the wider area.
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you neckervd, food for thought. One of the reasons we like Grimentz so much is that it's so well located to other villages, and easy to get around via bus, so maybe I need to rethink Braunwald. I appreciate the mention of lack of sun, as that's important to us in the off season.

Do you have any other suggestions?

We've spent a lot of time in the Berner Oberland (the usual suspects of Wengen, Murren and Lauterbrunnen) and the Engadine (both upper and lower, multiple villages/towns) and have based in Soglio, Flims, Illanz, Vals, Sufers, Thusis, Locarno, Bellinzona, Grenchen, Tifencastel, Rappersvil, Kandersteg, Lenzerheide, Grengois, Adelboden, Gstaad area and visited places like Arosa, Juf, Juppa, S-Charl, Ernen, Altesch Glacier area, Lenk, etc. A possible revisit to the Gstaad area is on the table for this year as we've only been in winter and barely scratched the surface, but haven't yet decided.

The canton of Uri is also on my radar. Altdorf is too big for our tastes, but I'm looking into Unterschächen.

Would appreciate any suggestions for areas that are particularly gorgeous in the autumn with the changing leaves.
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 12:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Mel, Stormbird on TA has based in Uri canton several times and written reports. She always stays in villages and uses the bus.
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 12:31 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Of course you know that already, lol, I just went to find her posts on TA and there you were 🤣
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Adelaidean. Yes, she's the one who sparked my interest.
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 01:13 PM

I know that you have been almost everywhere in Switzerland.
But did you check
Leysin, Chesieres, Villars, Les Diablerets (Alps of Canton of Vaud)?
Les Marecottes, La Fouly, Ovronnaz (spa), Haute Nendaz, Veysonnaz, Anzere (Lower Valais)?
Simplon Dorf, Cevio, Bignasco, Cari, Olivone, Campra, Sfazu, Poschiavo, Le Prese, Miralago, Fuldera, Sta Maria Val Mustair, Mustair, Tubre (Italy), Glorenza (Southern side of the Alps)?
St-Cergue, La Cure, Arzier, Ste-Croix, Les Rasses, Ste-Ursanne (Swiss Jura)?
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

neckervd - Other than Val Mustair and Poschiavo, nope. Thank you for the list, I'm off to do more research!
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 02:10 AM

There are some beautiful places to visit in the canton of Glarus. Besides Braunwald, there is the beautiful Klöntalersee, which is impressively nestled between steep mountain slopes. The area around Elm is also very beautiful for hiking, as is Urnerboden, which is on the way to the Klausen Pass. The Garichtistausee lake near the Mettmen mountain hotel is also worth a visit, as is the Muttsee lake above Linthal.

Have a great trip
Martin
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Martin!

The more I look into the area, the more sense it seems to make to stay in Glarus and day trip to these other areas from there. Does that sound like a good plan?

Last edited by Melnq8; Mar 24th, 2023 at 06:36 AM.
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 07:56 AM

Some statistics about the city of Glaris:
Inhabitants: 13000, 70 per cent of them are Swiss citizens
Altitude above sea level: 444 m (1456 ft)
Average temperature End September: 12 degrees centgirade (min 8, max 16 degrees)
Average sunsihine per day (End September):3.2 hrs
Average rainy days (Sept-Oct) per month: 11

The area is full of mountain lakes, like Kloentaersee, Waegitalersee, Garichtisee, Glattalpsee, Oberplegisee, Limmernsee, Griessee, Chuebodensee, Oberer Murgsee, Spaneggsee, Talalpsee, Obersee, Haslenseeli.....
But only the first 3 of this list can be reached by public transport, whereas the access to many others means strenuous hiking. For Muttsee however, you can use the Kalktrittli gondola (max capacity 8 pax) and reduce so the the difference of altitude to do on foot to some 850 metres OW.
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you neckervd. Assume that 3.2 hours of sunshine in Sept was a typo?
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 08:38 AM

I got the statistics in German only
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glarus
Niederschlag means precipitation
Sonnenstunden means hours of sunshine
Regentage means rainy days
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 11:11 AM

Thank you neckervd. Assume that 3.2 hours of sunshine in Sept was a typo?
I personally believe that statistic is grossly misleading. There may be a few areas in Glarnerland that are snuggled along the shady side of the valley but I don't recall ever it being that dire in September. December, on the other hand, is another matter.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I've had time to do some research and am more confused than ever.

I'm having a little trouble finding an apartment and I'm still not sure which area to base - we'll likely be making day trips, so Braunwald seems a bit inconvenent, as does Elm, which appears to be at the end of the valley.

I've found apartment options in Ruti (located just below Braunwald I think), Glarus, Linthal, Glarus Sud, Ennenda and Nafels.

Any thoughts on which of these would be most convenient for day trips in the area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -