Search

4-5 nights in Porto - arriving by car - what area to stay in

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2023, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4-5 nights in Porto - arriving by car - what area to stay in

Hi,

we're going back to Spain and Portugal next summer. Doing a Road Trip again. Last time we also did Lisbon. This time though we plan on staying in Porto for 4-5 nights. Somehow we've never been there yet.

Since we're road-tripping we will arrive by car. I wonder what area of the city would be good to stay in for first timers? Something central with sights and restaurants in walking distance would be great.

Finding an accomodation will be fine, we'll stay in an AirBnB - always was a good choice when traveling with a dog.

Thanks for any help and ideas.
Old Jan 1st, 2023, 08:40 AM

Are you dropping off the car or keeping it for further travels? That might make a difference as to the type of accommodation and where in the city.
Old Jan 1st, 2023, 12:16 PM

If you're not set with at an airbnb, here's a handy list of "pet friendly" lodgings, both hotels and apartments, written by Porto native Sara of Portualities-

https://portoalities.com/en/pet-friendly-hotels-porto/

Don't know if any of these are on www.airbnb.com.

If planning to keep your car, the center city parking garages, like the 24-hr. Saba Parque das Cardosas garage above pedestrian Rua das Flores, can cost up to 26 euros/day.

Alternatively you could leave your car parked at the airport for as low as 4/day (the ¨Low Cost¨ lot is uncovered).
01set_asc_tarifarios2021_en.pdf.

Then use the Uber Pet Friendly service on the Uber app to transport you from there to a center-city apartment (I haven't used it).
https://www.uber.com/pt/blog/uber-pe...-de-estimacao/

Foz is the far western neighborhood where the Douro meets the Atlantic and is loaded with casual dining spots, cafés, beach bars and airbnbs. But street parking only. There you could take long beach walks with your dog. When we stay in Foz we use the 500 double decker bus to go back and forth to the center (2 euros paying with a contactless bank car). I believe that dogs on buses need to be in a carrier.

But it does sound like you would prefer to be in the very heart of Porto. If so, I'd look near Rua das Flores, Largo do São Domingos, Aliados or Clérigos for a nice airbnb in an attractive, central location with restaurants, cafés just steps away.
Or if you want to be close to the river. to walk your dog along the Cais de Ribeira, look at the Old Stone Flats in the Ribeira district (pets are allowed). With lift but no a/c (don't know what month you're planning for your road trip)
https://oldstoneflats.com/book-now-ribeira/

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 1st, 2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jan 1st, 2023, 03:17 PM

I see that Old Stone Flats is also on airbnb

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/plus/159...DMlKQqlfgXIjm8
Old Jan 2nd, 2023, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi Michael,

If we manage to find a place with parking, we'll keep the car with.
Old Jan 2nd, 2023, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi Maribel,

thanks a lot for your information and help! I'll sure check these out.