Nashville to Kentucky day trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2022, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be travelling to Nashville later next week and would really like an excuse to drive across the border and visit Kentucky for the day to say I have been. Does anybody have any good ideas for a day trip? Please no suggestions on the civil rights theme, that isn't really an interest of mine thanks. I quite like history, architecture or traditional cultural experiences. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 01:09 PM

The National Corvette museum is an obvious choice. There’s also Mammoth Cave NP but you need a tour to see more than the first bit and I was not very impressed.

This is likely quite good

https://shakervillageky.org/
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 03:16 PM

Hi UrbanGreen, looks like about a 2.5-hour drive to Louisville. If you leave early enough, there are scads of things there. Churchill Downs has a nice tour, and I loved the excellent art Museum. Also, Google 'what to do between Nashville and Louisville' and other suggestions will pop up (including Mammoth Cave and a Jim Beam distillery).
​​​​​
All my info is older so do double-check hours and tours. Agree about Shakertown.... really interesting tour!

Last edited by TDudette; Aug 14th, 2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi TDudette, I think a 2.5 hour journey is a little more than I want to do but I will bear it in mind, thanks. I wanted to do some Davey Crockett stuff but that is all so far from Nashville, too.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 08:04 AM

Googling, it looks like there are Davy Crockett sights in Tennessee. Anyone have firsthand info?
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TDudette
Googling, it looks like there are Davy Crockett sights in Tennessee. Anyone have firsthand info?
There are but they are over three hours away from Nashville. Well the ones im aware of are, anyway.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 06:54 AM

Bowling Green, KY is only an hour north of Nashville and it has plenty of sights including the Lost River Valley and Cave (underground boat tour). It has many historic houses and buildings including the historic Fountain Square in the downtown. Plus, you can wander around the Western Kentucky Uni. campus.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 10:13 AM

On the university campus in Bowling Green is the 1810 pioneer log cabin.and the Kentucky Museum.
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 06:05 AM

Sounds like Bowling Green is your closest best choice - and that's where the Corvette Museum is, too.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 06:34 AM

There's another Shaker Museum near Bowling Green. I have seen a couple Shaker sites near each other, one in Massachusetts which I really liked (Hancock) and one across the state line in NY that was not very developed but still an interesting stop. This a smaller site than the one I referenced above but much closer to Nashville. https://www.southunionshakervillage.com/susv-history/