4 days in Switzerland

Search

4 days in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2022, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 days in Switzerland

Hello! My husband and I will be going on our honeymoon this September. We will be spending 12 days between Rome and the Amalfi Coast for the first part of our trip, and we wanted to stop by Switzerland before we head home. We unfortunately will only have 4 days in Switzerland (not enough I know). We were thinking of flying into Bern and then taking the train to Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken. Do you recommend getting a hotel/airb&B in one location (say Lauterbrunnen) and then taking the train daily to neighboring towns and hikes? Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would look at the logistics of this idea... I believe you'd have to return to Rome for a flight to Bern (unless you'll be on the AC first and will already be in Rome). It's only an hour flight, but it will take most of a day to reach Lauterbrunnen. FWIW, it may be faster overall to fly to Milan or Zurich, but you'd have to investigate the flight options and train timetables and the connecting time between.

Would you then fly home from Zurich? How early would the departing flight be?

Have you done any preliminary searches for lodging availability?
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 02:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree. Where are you flying home from? Where are you trying to get to on your last day? Bern would be far down my list of a town to visit if I only had one in Switzerland.
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

We would fly into Bern (or Zurich) from Naples airport on Tuesday, and we would land at 11 am. We would then fly home at 1:15 pm on Friday. I know it's not a lot of time, but we were hoping to make it work. Do you recommend starting in Zurich instead of Bern? Also, we are not set on Lauterbrunnen so let me know if you recommend a different area.
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 03:09 PM

It's not a right or wrong, but I only know the area flying into Geneva, then out by train along Lac Leman, and including Gruyeres as a day trip. Staying in Lausanne, Vevey, or Montreux. It's the French-speaking part of the country, canton of Vaud.

Is there a specific reason that Bern and Zurich and Lauterbrunnen appeal to you?
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 03:23 PM

I may be wrong, but I think Bern is just intended as a gateway to the BO/Lauterbrunnen. But the closest airport to the final destination isn't always the best choice if the train/plane/train connections eat up a lot of time. All in all, considering the many steps involved in flying just part of the journey, it might be more enjoyable to train from Rome to Lauterbrunnen. It will still take an entire day but I think less of a hassle. Only perusing all the schedules/timetables involved will allow for comparison.

Sharontrim, if you want to be in dramatic mountains without losing an entire day, consider taking the train to Bolzano and exploring the Dolomites. There's a no-change train from Rome at 8:50 a.m. that arrives Bolzano by 2:00 p.m. You can keep it simple, stay in Bolzano, and use public trans to go up the mountain nearby and/or to Ortisei to ride a couple of cable cars up into the mountains and possibly to other towns where some cable car could still be operating. To maximize your sightseeing, rent a car in Bolzano and stay in Ortisei or split the nights between Ortisei and Cortina. There could be other mountain towns to recommend, but it would depend on how late in September you'd be there.
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 03:57 PM

OK, good, you've found a flight from Naples to Bern. You still have to get to the Naples Airport. If you're starting in Positano, that's about 90 minutes no matter which way you do it (taxi/car or public trans). More or less time (but not much) if you're staying elsewhere. After you arrive Bern, assuming you could board the first of the four trains (3 connections) at noon, you'd arrive Lauterbrunnen at 2. About 6.5 hours door to door. Luggage score: at least 6x loading and 6x unloading. Pack light!

Don't discount the consequences if the Naples-Bern flight is delayed or cancelled which seems to carry a higher risk this year.... Which airline? Can you tell if it's a segment of a longer flight?

Assuming you're flying home from Zurich, you'd need to leave Lauterbrunnen almost 3 hours before the time you want to be checking in at the airport.

You have Tuesday evening and all day Wednesday and Thursday to explore the Lauterbrunnen area.
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

We are not set on Bern by any means. Where would you suggest flying in to for a 4 day trip?
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 04:49 PM

It depends where you want to go in those 4 days. For Lac Leman as I mentioned, you'd fly into Geneva. For the German-speaking section you'd fly into Zurich.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Did 4 days feel like enough? Ive only done a little research and we we’re thinking of staying in Interlaken for 2 nights so that we could do day trips to Lauterbrunnen and Grimmelwald and then 1 night in Lucern. Are there other towns that would be better to stay in in your opinion? We would like to have restaurants to go to at night if possible-not sure how quiet Interlaken is. Also, were the logistics of training throughout different towns in only 4 days overwhelming for you guys? We are a little apprehensive about it because it will be the last 4 days of our 2 week trip and we don’t know how easy or difficult the train navigation will be.

Originally Posted by Aanchalkaushik
So I also went on my honeymoon to Switzerland and it was totally worth it. We did 4 days in Swiss and 3 days in Paris. I will suggest you do not miss out on Lucern as it is a beautiful place. An overnight stay should be enough for that. Interlaken is nice but it is quieter I feel or probably it was when I visited it. Been to Swiss twice and I really love to visit these two places again.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 07:03 AM

Depending on what you want to accomplish in 4 days. You can stay in any town in the Bernese Oberland region, such as Interlaken, Grinderwald, or Lauterbrunnen, if you intend to visit Jungfraujoch. You can stay in Lucerne if you want to see Mount Pilatus, Mount Rigi, or Mount Titlis. Depending on your interests, you can alternatively split your time between Lucerne and the Bernese Oberland. All cities are easily accessible by trains. If you have swiss travel pass, it includes unlimited travel on trains, busses and boats. You can fly in and out of Bern or Zurich. For more information, we can visit www.indiancoupletravels.com
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 08:58 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Interlaken is not quiet. It's a zoo. It's a city, and not the place I'd choose as a base. Keep going UP. Lauterbrunnen makes a good base for Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald (which can also be a zoo). Gimmelwald too, although it's basically a spot in the road - a good place to hike to and from, but that's about it.

Don't waste your precious few days in Interlaken.

And no, four days isn't nearly enough. We've been visiting Switzerland for a month at a time for over 20 years. It's never enough!

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 20th, 2022 at 09:00 AM.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 09:01 AM

As far as the trains, the system is super efficient and easy to understand. Been to Switzerland 5 times but always to visit a friend and only in the Lac Leman area. I wouldn't want to move around as much in such a short time, but the train system will support whatever you want to do.

Old Jul 20th, 2022, 10:53 AM

<<We would fly into Bern (or Zurich) from Naples airport on Tuesday, and we would land at 11 am.
We would then fly home at 1:15 pm on Friday. I know it's not a lot of time, but we were hoping to make it work. Do you recommend starting in Zurich instead of Bern? Also, we are not set on Lauterbrunnen so let me know if you recommend a different area.>>

This is not 4 days. This is only 3 nights and 2 full days. Add a half day for Tues. The sane thing to do would be to fly into Zurich on Tues, train from Zurich airport to Lucerne for 3 nights. Do day trips from Lucerne such as Mount Pilatus, Lake cruise, etc. Friday train from Lucerne to Zuriich airport for your flight home.
But if you want the Bernese Oberland to be part of your honeymoon then go for it.
There is no other place like it in the world.

<< Ive only done a little research and we we’re thinking of staying in Interlaken for 2 nights
so that we could do day trips to Lauterbrunnen and Grimmelwald and then 1 night in Lucerne.
Are there other towns that would be better to stay in in your opinion?
We would like to have restaurants to go to at night if possible-not sure how quiet Interlaken is.
Also, were the logistics of training throughout different towns in only 4 days overwhelming for you guys?
We are a little apprehensive about it because it will be the last 4 days of our 2-week trip and we don’t know how easy
or difficult the train navigation will be.>>

Do not stay in Interlaken. Stay in a mountain village. The one I recommend to you is Grindelwald for a one/two night stand.
Grindelwald has the restaurants and night life you want.
Grindelwald is right there with mountain views and activities that you want.
Grindelwald is a 30 min mountain train ride from Interlaken.

So do something like this:

Tues-Fly into Bern with a 11am arrival. Train to Interlaken Ost. Mountain train to Grindelwald. Check into hotel.
Hopefully time for round trip gondola cable car from Grindelwald to First. Enjoy your first evening in the Bernese Oberland.

Wed-Plan to take the highest railway in Europe to the Jungfraujoch (11,333 ft) for an experience you will never forget.
You can reach Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald via mountain train (Wengernalp Bahn) to Kleine Scheidegg
followed by the Jungfraubahn for the incredible ride up inside the mountains to the Jungfraujoch.
You can also reach Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald via the new Eiger Express gondola followed by the Jungfraubahn.
There are many activities at the Jungfraujoch.
You will have time for another activity in the afternoon. There are many to choose from.
Enjoy your second evening in the Bernese Oberland.

Thur- Take the train (2 hrs.) from Grindelwald to Lucerne
(Mountain train Grindelwald to Interlaken Ost. Scenic train part of Golden Pass Line from Interlaken to Lucerne.
https://www.swissholidayco.com/Sceni...-and-Timetable
Afternoon explore Lucerne. Enjoy your evening in Lucerne.

Fri-Train Lucerne to Zurich airport for 1:15 flight.. Fly home.

Last edited by dugi_otok; Jul 20th, 2022 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling