Warm destination for winter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2020, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’re from Texas and we’re looking for a warm destination for the holidays. We’re hesitant to fly but will do so if it’s a lot of driving. We’ve been to Florida many times. Some other suggestions would be great!
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 09:59 AM

Covid restrictions notwithstanding, how far from Mexico are you?

I enjoyed Santa Fe but it might not be warm because of its elevation: Santa Fe Getaway 2018
Other cities in Az or NM?
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 11:06 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
How warm is "warm"?
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 11:09 AM

Those of us who live in the north think that Texas is a warm place.
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 11:17 AM

I'd head to the Riviera Maya but be prepared to pay up to triple the normal prices for lodging, since Christmas-New Years' is the most expensive time to travel. The state of Quintana Roo (Cancun down to th Belize border) is under Color Code Yellow, meaning hotels can have no more than 60% ocupancy, and bars can only stay open until 11pm and only if they are serving food so do not expect much nightlife.
I've been to Puerto Vallarta twice over Christmas and it is nice but gets really busy and I usually needed advance dinner reservations for some of the nicer restaurants. Ocean water is also a lot cooler. I do not know what Color Code Jalisco state where PV is located is under.
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by oldemalloy
Those of us who live in the north think that Texas is a warm place.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I live in a part of CA that gets occasional snow so for an easy trip to get warm desert So. CA sounds good to me when Mexico isn't practical. We need parameters!
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 04:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Santa Fé gets snow as it is at a high altitude. Nearby Taos has a ski area. I would not call it a warm destination.
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 02:31 PM

I wouldn't either, Santa Fe isn't a warm destination in winter, it snows there. It's in the 40s during the day time and maybe down to 20 at night.

YOu can fly anywhere, but lots of places are going to be closed due to COVID< not just in AZ. I won't understand this desire to take vacations by plane during a pandemic when things are getting worse, during one of the most expensive travel times, also.
Although what holiday we're are talking about is a mystery, could be Thanksgiving which isn't so bad in terms of expense (or cold).

I'd suggest Louisiana, seems a natural from Texas and the warm weather thing and wasn't mentioned as a place they've been a lot. LIke New Orleans. It's very temperate in December, but not hot. Basically like parts of TX since it's really about the same latitude as Houston or Galveston.

But if someone from TX is looking for a "warm weather" location, I don't even know what that means but imagine only the Caribbean or SoFlorida or SoCal might fit the bill. Even Tucson isn't that warm in December. Well, San Diego isn't either, it's not like the tropics or anything. So if 65-70ish is ok, I'd pick Louisiana.
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 03:15 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd have a look at Palm Springs. It's usually comfortably warm, you've got Joshua Tree National Park nearby, and if you want snow you can get there on the aerial tramway just outside of town.
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Dallas was 37 degrees yesterday! On October!! It’s not as warm as it used to be. But I understand why you say so. I’m definitely not in New York or Chicago. Our destination choices in December are limited. We’ve decided to drive, not comfortable flying with the rising coronavirus numbers everywhere. And our destination probably will not be “warm” as we hoped for.
Our search continues.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 06:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
It is a long flight to Guam. N 13 degrees 27.0' E 144 degrees 47.2'. Their money is the US dollar and they speak English. They do have a US Navy hospital. Hotels range from $75 to $300 per night.
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 04:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was coming to say Mexico. But I see you've changed your mind and decided not to fly anywhere.
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by orangepetal
Dallas was 37 degrees yesterday! On October!! It’s not as warm as it used to be. But I understand why you say so. I’m definitely not in New York or Chicago. Our destination choices in December are limited. We’ve decided to drive, not comfortable flying with the rising coronavirus numbers everywhere. And our destination probably will not be “warm” as we hoped for.
Our search continues.
Why can't you just go to Galveston?! I know it can get below freezing overnight in Palm Springs. Most snowbirds there that I knew were from places that get much colder or grayer, like N. Dakota, Canada and Seattle.

I really don't get this need to have a vacation by the "vulnerable" when many states are entering another spike in cases.

The mandatory mask wearing and closure situation in California may be a culture shock to Texas residents. Just stay home, please.

Last edited by mlgb; Oct 31st, 2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 10:19 PM

Yes, it can get pretty cold in Dallas, I've been there when it did. Many people do not understand that given it's size the climate varies across the State.
Galveston is not necessarily warm in winter - when we lived there it got pretty darn chilly around the holidays.
If you are at all concerned about COVID, Mexico should not be on your list. It is a mess there. I'd suggest you buy a powerful space heater and stay home.
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 06:41 AM

I remember Dec 10 one year i nearly got frostbite during an early tee time in Palm Springs. Have seen puddles turn into ice even in Los Angeles.
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 11:35 AM

Some places in Mexico are handling COVID better than the US, taking temps multiple times daily, use of hand sanitizer, plus hotels are mandated at only 60% capacity and buffets in the AI hotels are not serve yourself, but served to you by a face shield wearing server.
That would be my pick but OP has apparently decided not to fly although driving you would come into contact with plenty of people as well in motels or hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, full serve gas stations, convenience stores, etc.
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 12:19 PM

I would think flying 2.5 hrs nonstop from Dallas to Cancun would be less risky than driving multiple days in the US, too. But I still think it's stupid to travel at all this winter.
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 01:30 PM

I also believe that flying and staying in one place would be less risky overall than a road trip in the USA.
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 05:20 PM

Much as many of us are just twitching to get on the road (or in the air) when I find myself beginning to think "now where can I go" my next thought is if I go & get sick I'm going to feel REALLY stupid (if I'm able to feel anything at all). There just doesn't seem to me to be any reason, short of a dire emergency, that is a good enough reason to take that chance.
Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 01:43 PM

For me I don't believe I would get sick from covid any more in Mexico than could happen here in Seattle from the grocery store or whatever. Just seems "dumb" to me. and I've zero interest in packing a suitcase right now. Although i did sort out my tropical clothes travel closet last night.

"Oh dear I'm so sick of sitting around my apartment"... just seems a lame reason to get on a plane. Like people think they are the only ones feeling that way -lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -