Search

stilt house in paradise

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2020, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stilt house in paradise

Now that we are all dreaming about holidays...

For years I have dreamed of going to one of those stilt houses that you see on the cover of travel brochures. You know, the ones where there is a row of thatched houses stretching out into a blue blue sea, and in the morning you just step straight off your patio into the water. Normally you see them in places like the Maldives and the Seychelles but recently I saw a travel programme that showed some fantastically expensive ones in Cuba.

The problem with all of this is that whenever I look at the detail, these places are hugely pricey, up to EUR1,000 per night. But any ones I have seen are also 5 star, fluffy pilllows, the works. Now I am a simple creature and am not normally a 5 star kind of person, happy to stay in places without a TV or hairdryer and where I have to bring my own shampoo, as long as the location is right. I suppose I would like a stilt house with a door that closes to keep the mosquitos out, and a fan to keep it cool at night, but I might even be prepared to forego those....

So my question is, has anyone ever seen or stayed in one of my dream houses that did not cost an arm and a leg?

And for the judgers, I know there are some (lots of?) people for whom this would be a nightmare holiday. Nothing to do but sit on your patio watching the sun on the waves and swimming in the deep blue sea. But for me that would be paradise.

Old May 31st, 2020, 06:06 AM

Overwater (stilt) bungalows be they in the South Pacific, Caribbean, Indian Ocean or anywhere else around the world are always going to command premium prices which for most mere mortals can usually be defined as costing "an arm and leg". However, if you are will to travel to in "Low (Off) Season and do a bit of research you may be lucky enough to find a few places where prices dip significantly below the EUR1,000 benchmark you deem to be too high. While the lower prices might look attractive you may find airfare to/from where you live these places may add significantly from your budget.

If you are willing to travel in Low Season you might want to check out the following website which list places that have overwater bungalows in various places around the world starting as low as EUR160/night in places like Malaysia or Indonesia (use the link for properties in Asia): https://www.overwaterbungalows.net

Good luck finding a place that helps make your dream come true.
Old May 31st, 2020, 07:07 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
My spouse has been diving at Bandos (Maldives) on a yearly basis for 20 years or so. It's one of the more reasonably priced resorts, and in recent years they've added a few water villas. No idea what they cost, but here's the link if you want to look into it.

https://bandosmaldives.com/v2/portfolio/water-villa/
Old May 31st, 2020, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Great links... those will keep my dreams alive! Thanks
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 06:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
There are some less expensive stilt hotels around Asia. I stayed at one in Thailand but it was some time ago & sorry, I can't locate the name. Myanmar/Burma also comes to mind, the eastern shore of Inle Lake. If you zoom in on Google maps you'll find some, like this one around $60US: https://nampan.gichotelgroup.com/