Family Ski Trip- March/April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2019, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be the kids ski trip. We want to go March 30-April 5. Where do you suggest? We want to ski in/out, do other things and have fun. Thinking either Telluride, Beaver Creek, Steamboat Springs or open to others. Have you been to those? Or have other ideas. Thanks. Or even Deer Valley?
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 03:12 AM

Can't go wrong with Summit County CO--ski a couple of areas if you want. We have always found the snow in March to be pretty great and this year the base is terrific according to DS yesterday.
What level of skiers do you have?
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 08:34 AM

That's pretty late in the year so great snow is never guaranteed, but it will probably be the best you can find in Colorado, except maybe the far NW. I've been to Breckenridge twice in late March and neither time was the snow great, but it was acceptable, better one year than the other, as I recall. Last year I went to Lake Tahoe first week in April as they had had so much good snow in March and even then, it was bad conditions because it was just too warm, even if they had lots of snow as a base. I won't ever go there again that late in the year. But it's lower altitude than Summit County.

AS far as Deer Valley goes, I think it's just okay but for some odd reason it has a really good reputation. I know it ranks high in various polls and I have a friend who loves it there. I just didn't get it, I thought the place you get skis/change was very old fashioned and low tech (especially for such an expensive place), you couldn't even use credit cards for the lockers, for example. And on the mountain, you are skiing practically right next to some condos/lodging in some places, and I don't even mean on the side of the mountain like you sometimes see, off towards the road. I mean right on the mountain.

Anyway, I thought it was just okay but since I saw those accommodations right on the mountain (not my idea of a great scenic view), they probably do have ski in/out. And it is a good mountain for beginners and they had decent snow last March. Steamboat is probably a bit likelier to have good snow that time of year, and it's got plenty of beginner/int runs also.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 08:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at Winter Park, also, in Grand County, CO. You could rent a condo at the base of the mountain.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 02:32 PM

There is more to do further up into Summit County from Winter Park, IMO--and my daughter lived in WP for a ski season as an instructor.

Ski in ski out is a great thing but don't make it a deal breaker. If you are staying on a mountain it is "close enough". LOL
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 08:39 PM

The first week of April can be iffy. As a local I agree with Christina. The best ski in/out areas are Breckenridge and Snowmass. You need to stick to central if you want any chance at decent snow. I personally would vote for Breckenridge but not on your list. From your list it would be Beaver Creek.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Ok. I am realizing this might not be the best time to go. We started looking at Steamboat Springs-- flights stop in/out of Hayden April 1. No joke. Get it? Anyway, thanks for great recommendations. All of the family except me-- beginners. If you had a choice when is best time to go skiing? Thanks. I remember going spring break but it was earlier.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 09:33 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Grand County v Summit County having 'things to do'-- it depends on what you want to do.
Grand County has more wide open spaces, if you enjoy exploring like that.
If you prefer spending time with other people, Summit County might be for you.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 10:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
We have some good to great late season skiing in Oregon. If you fly into Portland, you can be at Timberline (Mt. Hood) in about an hour. If you wanted to go farther from Portland, you can drive over to Bend and ski at Mt. Bachelor.
Last year there was enough snow left that Mt. Bachelor opened for a "last day of the season" on July 4.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 10:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm going to suggest an alternative that you might research. Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood, Oregon has excellent spring skiing (and in fact has year-round skiing on some of the ice fields farther up the mountain.) But the real virtue of Mt. Hood in April is that it's just above the Hood River Valley and the Columbia River Gorge, in which there are numerous activities for kids and their parents at that time of year. The valley is full of orchards in bloom, you can visit a very interesting little museum in Maryhill, on the east (dry) side of the Gorge, along with a nearby replica of Stonehenge. The kids can visit the very cool Bonneville fish hatchery and say hello to Herman the Sturgeon, their parents can sample numerous local wines and microbrews in the lovely little town of Hood River. Hood River is an hour east of Portland airport, and between is the Columbia River Gorge with its many vista points and waterfalls, glorious in the spring.

The point being, it's more than a ski destination, it's a twofer, or threefer, or morefer.

https://traveloregon.com/things-to-d...-snowboarding/
https://www.timberlinelodge.com/
Maryhill Museum of Art

Mount Hood from Portland

Columbia Gorge

Latourell Falls, Columbia Gorge

Mount Hood from Hood River Valley

Herman the Sturgeon

Maryhill Stonehenge

Old Jan 4th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Love the ideas!! We have friends who moved to Portland, Oregon. They have definitely asked us to come that way. It is one state I have not visited. Neat ideas -- is the skiing/ mountain good for beginners?
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 12:00 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by signmeup
Neat ideas -- is the skiing/ mountain good for beginners?
Not a skiier, but I'm told it is. Snowboarding too.
​​​​​​
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 12:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not a skier either but I do enjoy getting out on trails with my snowshoes.. Mt. Bachelor also has a snow tubing hill which is a lot of fun.
At Crater Lake NP there are Saturday Ranger guided snowshoe hikes (once the shutdown is over). Snowshoes are provided (free). I brought my own since I like them better than the government provided ones.
The hikes start next to the Crater Lake Lodge and go for about an hour.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Ok. I have a travel agent looking. They say that Keystone might be ok-- at that time. Anyone want to chime in? Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 07:47 PM

Sorry but your travel agent is not well- informed. Of all the Summit County ski resorts, Keystone is at the lowest altitude and doesn't get anymore snow than Breck. or Copper Mt. Arapahoe Basin is known for late season skiing but is not a good choice for beginners and is not a resort destination.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 03:37 AM

For beginner skiers you want lessons every day and Copper Mountain is well set up for that with beginner slopes more on one side of the mountain.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 02:22 PM

I think the travel agent just said that Keystone would "probably be okay" at that time. That's about right. I've been there in late March and is was "okay." It probably is likely to have a little less snow than Breckenridge or Copper, though. Beaver Creek and Vail aren't as good, either, they are even lower altitude, but they aren't in Summit Co.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 04:49 PM

Having lived at Copper Mt. for several years and sking all the Summit County ski areas, I'd say it was far more iffy than probable for the first of April. All these resorts to an excellent job of snow maintance but I certainly wouldn't plan a family ski vacation at that time of year hoping it'd be okay. Posters have offered better options.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 06:48 PM

I learned to ski @ Timberline in Portland. It's ok but limited and the snow cannot compare to CO or UT. I may be prejudiced since I have lived in Durango CO for 30 years and have had a season pass to ski every year, but I would suggest either Durango's Purgatory Mountain or Telluride. Both offer slopeside accommodations, both have a lot of activities other than skiing. They often have decent skiing into the first week of April however mother nature can be unpredictable. We are in an El Niņo pattern this year so snow is expected to be good this season. Purgatory has a great ski school, the mountain is never crowded and it's known for it's family friendly skiing. If you want to try 2 different mountains and explore two great small western towns, Durango and Telluride are only a 2 1/2 hour drive apart. Durango has an airport that serves United and American Airlines.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 03:49 AM

This has been interesting to me about the snow because in the late 70's and the 80's when our kids were in school we always skied in mid to late March and had great snow. Of course, everything is relative to "great" if you are used to NC skiing on all man made snow/ice as we are/were--and maybe for where this family is coming from. But we often had several snow storms in the week were there which was SO much fun for us!! Easily pleased and entertained. LOL
Then 2 of our kids moved to Colorado! But even when bringing grandson 10 years ago March was good. I know climate change is having a great effect on the alpine snow but is late season skiing really bad now?
I know it is unpredictable (even though we listen to the forecast every day!!), and given that these are beginning skiers, really wanting to ski, will the conditions be that bad?
I had never realized Telluride was that close to Durango! Thanks for that info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -